Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IFR Version?

Author
flyboy430
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am an avid user of Foreflight when flying in the US and have been patiently waiting for somwone in Europe to provide a similar product. SD seems to provide similar VFR capabilities but are there any plans to provide at the very least, IFR GPS navigation?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
What specific IFR GPS navigation features are you after? In terms of keeping you on track, SkyDemon will of course help with that and includes all the airways reporting points. We don't always include airways, though, when they do not affect VFR traffic. Nor do we include IFR approach information/plates. We don't currently have any resources scheduled to include them either since our core market is VFR, though we may include AIP plates in the future which do contain IFR as well as VFR info.
flyboy430
flyboy430
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Hi Tim,

First let me state that I do not currently use SD but I plan to give it a try when I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks, so forgive me if I am ignorant of some features already in SD.

My ideal scenario would be to have a choice of VFR or IFR charts for the "movng map" display. I apppreciate that VFR flights can benefit from having certain IFR information on a VFR chart but that would not be adequate for an IFR flight and if all the details from an IFR chart was superimposed on a VFR chart, it would become too cluttered.

Approach plates would be ideal but if necessary, I can print these from national AIS sites. Similarly, flight planning can be done with a variety of products. It's basically the enroute capability that is of most interest
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Perhaps you are refering to a charting ability akin to that of WingX Pro7 with amongst other things has IFR/VFR swapping/combining ability. You can look-up its youtube previews. Food for thought.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
pink leader
pink leader
Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)
I am not an IFR expert but if you raise the cruise height to say 10,000 then airways and airways reporting point become visible on the map. Similarly some Danger areas not visible with a 4,000 limit also start to be shown.

Is this the kind of in flight mix you mean?

D
flyboy430
flyboy430
Not quite.

In applications like Foreflight and WingX (mentioned above) you have the option of a number of different chart views.

In the case of Foreflight for example, you can view FAA Sectional (VFR) charts or FAA Low/High Airways charts. They are completely different charts and the IFR ones only provide information pertinent to IFR flight such as Airways, Navaid, Intersections, MEA, MRA, crossing altitudes and lots more without any terrain or ground features depicted. There is so much information on IFR charts, especially in Europe, it would probably be difficult to read with a VFR background unless you zoomed in until only a small area of airspace was displayed which is not ideal when ATC gives you a revised clearance over a large distance.

As mentioned earlier, some of this information may be in SD but I have not yet had chance to use it. However, if the information is not part of the chart data, then SD would be limited for use during IFR flight.

I guess I should download the trial and see what is there Crazy
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Hello PinkLeader. Please refer to: hiltonsoftware.com for more details & dare I say more déjà vu. Illustrations on youtube. Just search for WingX Pro7.

Can I also bring your attention to what you could end up with, if you connect up to a 5Oz battery operated AHRS-G mini unit (on the same website), probably with a bit of fiddle. I could probably just about chuck all the rest of my heavy cockpit avionics out of the window!

I am not sure if a European version is available.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 3/2/2012 5:41:53 AM by Runways
Runways
Runways
... and I just had a reply from hiltonsoftware.com. No UK version yet.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
flyboy430
flyboy430
Runways,

You probably won't see a UK version from Hilton or Foreflight for any time soon, if ever.

I have spoken to both companies in the past the last time was about a year ago. They both stated that a UK version was under consideration and Foreflight even gave a timescale of "about 3 months".

However, I doubt they will ever bother. With a pilot population of over 800,000 in the US and Canada, they really don't need the hassle of trying to provide the product in Europe. We have fewer pilots and because our bureaucrats make flying ever more difficult and costly in all respects, that limits their market potential.

There is a lot of business in the US and these companies, along with several others, are fighting each other to build market share. Europe would be a distraction for them right now.
Runways
Runways
Alas, I agree. I did have a similar responses from other companies in the US in the past. Perhaps we should be greateful that some do bother.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search