Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Crosswind for runways

Author
R
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just ran into a webpage called metar-taf.com which has great visual representation of runway crosswind. I think it would be very handy to have something similar in skydemon? 
Example, 220 degrees 6 knots
In the metar section below the standard report:

Lower right corner during approach:

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We do show crosswind in the approach information for airfields, if there is any. I think it makes more sense putting it next to runway information that it does putting it in the METAR itself, personally, but am open to input.
Robert H
R
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Thanks for your input Tim! 
I had not seen the crosswind info in the approach info tab, great to have it. I still think it would be nice to have a more graphical representation so the crosswind is extremely clear. 
But it is just a suggestion. I am still a pilot student and trying to get my head around everything to think about, anything information that can be presented to me in an easy way is a bonus. 
Robert

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Robert H - 3/16/2023 9:04:06 AM
I had not seen the crosswind info in the approach info tab, great to have it. I still think it would be nice to have a more graphical representation so the crosswind is extremely clear. 
But it is just a suggestion. I am still a pilot student and trying to get my head around everything to think about, anything information that can be presented to me in an easy way is a bonus. 
Robert

Frankly, when it really matter, the best crosswind information is not what Skydemon has derived from a TAF, or even a recent METAR, but what you can derive yourself from the windsock and/or the person on the ground tells you on the radio. 

Edited 3/16/2023 10:27:30 AM by grahamb
Robert H
R
grahamb - 3/16/2023 10:01:43 AM
Robert H - 3/16/2023 9:04:06 AM
Robert

Frankly, the best crosswind information is not what Skydemon has derived from a TAF, or even a recent METAR, but what the windsock and/or the person on the ground tells you on the radio. 

Yes, you are obviously right. Maybe it would just make the user rely on data instead of actually looking at the windsock (if there is no ATC)? But that reasoning is also true for traffic alerts and probably many more features in SD. Just a suggestion, I am just a student so more experienced pilots should make that call Smile

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
It would only work at airfields that issue METARs, which is another argument against the feature.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search