Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Glider pilots find this really useful !

Author
R
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to make a suggestion for , what glider pilots call, a Heights layer. This is available on Soaring Web for download; I use the Tim Newport Peace (.sua) format, and modify it slightly so that Skydemon can read it, and insert it as Custom Data. This puts a large number showing the maximum altitude one can fly to without entering controlled airspace. In practice that means rather than clicking on the map to find the beginning of controlled airspace, or looking at the cross section view at the bottom of the screen, I just need to look at the moving map main screen. Two screenshots are attached of the Heights Layer inserted: 
  me 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
RandomSqirrel - 8/29/2022 4:11:00 PM
I would like to make a suggestion for , what glider pilots call, a Heights layer. This is available on Soaring Web for download; I use the Tim Newport Peace (.sua) format, and modify it slightly so that Skydemon can read it, and insert it as Custom Data. This puts a large number showing the maximum altitude one can fly to without entering controlled airspace. In practice that means rather than clicking on the map to find the beginning of controlled airspace, or looking at the cross section view at the bottom of the screen, I just need to look at the moving map main screen. Two screenshots are attached of the Heights Layer inserted: 
  me 

How do you distinguinguish between CAS bases expressed as Flight Levels and those as Altitudes?

RandomSqirrel
R
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
grahamb - 8/29/2022 4:15:49 PM
RandomSqirrel - 8/29/2022 4:11:00 PM
  me 

How do you distinguinguish between CAS bases expressed as Flight Levels and those as Altitudes?

The Heights Layer I use doesn't discriminate between the two, so care has to be taken. If I were to redesign it I would add a symbol, such as a dot before a flight level number (which I think I have seen in a gliding app), or have the number in a different colour.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search