Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Austrian GAFOR Routes disappear at night

Author
R
Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When flying in the Alps for the last few weeks, I always expierenced that the Austrian GAFOR routes disappeared at night time.
This happens in planning mode as well as in flight mode.

During daytime they are shown.
Do I have something set up wrong?

Would it be possible somehow to keep them visible?
Possibly also without colors.
The GAFOR routes are special in Austria, as they show possible pass over routes in not so perfect weather.

In planning mode it would be helpful, as planning is done at any time of the day or night.
In flight mode it would help a pilot to choose a route without having to tap SykDemon in case he runs into bad weather where he is already busy with the plane.
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
The display of GAFOR routes seems to have a random component implemented and is not consistent in different zoom levels and maybe also not consistent between day and night...
Three screenshots taken of the same location at the same time but with differerent zoom levels:

I would also strongly appreciate a clear display of the GAFOR routes independent of the availability of GAFOR data.

Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)
RainerM - 7/29/2022 8:29:04 PM
When flying in the Alps for the last few weeks, I always expierenced that the Austrian GAFOR routes disappeared at night time.
This happens in planning mode as well as in flight mode.

During daytime they are shown.
Do I have something set up wrong?

Would it be possible somehow to keep them visible?
Possibly also without colors.
The GAFOR routes are special in Austria, as they show possible pass over routes in not so perfect weather.

In planning mode it would be helpful, as planning is done at any time of the day or night.
In flight mode it would help a pilot to choose a route without having to tap SykDemon in case he runs into bad weather where he is already busy with the plane.

My best guess is that since no GAFOR is available after 2000 UTC in Austria, there's simply nothing to show. Page 3: https://www.austrocontrol.at/jart/prj3/ac/data/uploads/AviationNews_01_19.pdf
I personally wouldn't fly a GAFOR route at night in "not so perfect weather" even if I was shown one (marked "X") on SkyDemon.

--
LSZA based
DA40 / SR20 / S22T / PIVI / TWEN

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
GAFOR routes are shown in dotted gray, and they "light up" with colours when there is currently a forecast to show. If you zoom in too much (to aerodrome level) they disappear for map clarity.
RainerM
R
Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)Too Much Forum (101 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/1/2022 9:05:18 AM
GAFOR routes are shown in dotted gray, and they "light up" with colours when there is currently a forecast to show. If you zoom in too much (to aerodrome level) they disappear for map clarity.
I checked it again today.
As long as the GAFOR identifiers were visible, the colored GAFOR routes were also visible.

After that, they were only visible under extreme magnification, but not in larger view.
That zoom stage is useless for planning or in case you need to find a route in flight, even if there is no GAFOR value available.

Is it possible to display GAFOR routes in the same scale as in colored mode, in this case only in gray?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I thought we did. Can you be precise about the map scale you're using please, so we can look at this? The scale is shown in the bottom left of the screen.
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Hi Tim,
two screenshots. One with takeoff in the future without valid Gafor data and one with takeoff now. 
The Gafor routes are practically invisible without valid data. 
SD 3.16.3
iOS 15.4.1
iPad mini 5

RainerM
R
Tim Dawson - 8/5/2022 9:44:42 AM
I thought we did. Can you be precise about the map scale you're using please, so we can look at this? The scale is shown in the bottom left of the screen.

I'm using SkyDemon 3.16.3 on Win10 and on Android.

I checked today at daytime 1500 and late night 2330.

At daytime, when the Austrian GAFOR details are loaded, the routes are show between on a scale between 2m, 50nm - 90k, 2nm.
They are easily identifiable as GAFOR routes and perfect for planning / flying with colors based on the GAFOR values.
Today at 23:30 nighttime, the routes are still shown in red, since all GAFOR values are available and shown as XXX or MMX.

I verified that on 2 different Win10 laptops, an Android tablet and an Android phone.
I was just wondering where the GAFOR values come from.

When zooming in, below 95k, 2nm the routes are shown in a different way. Just gray dashed lines.
This nighttime display is mostly overlapped by other routes (e.g. street), so they are hardly visible and hardly identifiable as GAFOR routes.
That was also my experience when no GAFOR values were available.

It would be great if you could show them in an equal design as the colored mode, just gray.
Thank you very much.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Ok - we will increase the opacity of those routes for the next version and see what people think.
RainerM
R
Tim Dawson - 8/8/2022 10:39:20 AM
Ok - we will increase the opacity of those routes for the next version and see what people think.

Thank you very much.
Also, is it possible to give them the same look as the colored routes to clearly identify them as GAFOR routes at first glance?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search