Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Logging flight while SD is in background (iPhone

Author
R
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there any way to log the flight while SD runs in background, e.g. while taking a video or pictures with the iPhone?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
SkyDemon does continue logging while running in the background, assuming you've entered navigation mode and just switch SkyDemon to the background to take pictures or similar.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Raphael_A - 5/10/2021 8:56:04 PM
Is there any way to log the flight while SD runs in background, e.g. while taking a video or pictures with the iPhone?

Which iPhone running which iOS version? Usually Skydemon is supposed to continue to run in the background, but I also had occasional drops there in the past. My 80 percent cure in case if was to temporarily enable the always use of GPS for Skydemon, not only when used.

Edited 5/14/2021 7:15:26 AM by pilot-byom
Clive
Clive
Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)
I’m having similar problems with my iPhone 12 mini.
Didn’t ever have issues with moving to other apps, taking pictures etc and returning to the SkyDemon screen with my old SE. In fact I now run the SE alongside and it never crashes or drops the location but the new iPhone 12mini does. When I go back to it it’s regularly crashed and I’m back at the start screen.
I’ve searched the settings for something relevant and can’t find anything. You would head for background apps but SkyD isn’t on that list. When reviewing the logs after flight the SE has no breaks in the track logs but the 12 mini does. This is with SKyD at version 3.15.4.307
iOS 14.7.1
Does anyone have any ideas?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
You just need to make sure that SkyDemon has been given permission to access your location while running in the background. If when you come back to SkyDemon it has been terminated, though, that implies something else is going on. iOS doesn't usually terminate an app unless the app you've switched to requires a great deal of resources.
Clive
Clive
Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)
Hi Tim, I have location set to always, always have had it like that though. I’ve tried to run with no other apps running, that is I’ve closed everything else down.
Reviewing the logs from my trip up to Scotland at the beginning of the month, the breaks in the track logs look to be when I have used the phone to take photos. Generally the crashes have stopped but I recall at least one since I have run only SkyD and photos. The track log breaks continue though the log is complete, IE there’s a log for the whole flight it’s just has breaks when it’s viewed ‘in Sky Demon’.
I got the newer phone so I could take better photos else I’d leave it running and not disturb it
Just been through the settings again to reduce any activity I can but few settings that would seem relevant to turn off. Some logs below. Thanks, regards Clive
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I can't explain it; can you contact customer support please?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search