Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Jepp Charts integration.

Author
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For those of you with Jepp subscriptions viewed through the excellent and free JeppMFD app, the app is being discontinued next year.

The guidance states you can view your Jepp plates on Foreflght or “other compatible apps”. I haven’t found what they other mystery apps are

To date for light IFR GA I think the combination of SD and the JeppMFD app have been amazing.

I know SD is not an IFR tool but it does allow subs to things external plates eg Pooleys Plates and displays AIP approach charts.

I’d willing pay the cost of ForeFlight to have instead the Jepp charts integrated into SD.

@Tim you have 12 months before JeppMFD is withdrawn in the UK, plenty of time to be negotiate with Boeing??
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
If Jepp are as difficult to deal with on a B2B basis are they are on a B2C one, I wouldn't blame Tim one jot for not going near them with a bargepole.

European AIP plates = zero cost over basic SD subscription
Jepp European plates - many times SD subscription over basic cost.

That's a cost-benefit calculation only Tim and team can make.

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
I agree they appear to difficult to deal with. But cost wise I don’t follow your logic. The cost is passed onto people choosing to use the sub in SD.

AIP plates are not the answer if you’re doing serious IFR touring.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
marioair - 6/29/2021 9:23:17 AM
I agree they appear to difficult to deal with. But cost wise I don’t follow your logic. The cost is passed onto people choosing to use the sub in SD. 

Exactly - Tim has the cost and hassle of negotiating and dealing with Jepp, plus the one-off and ongoing cost of the software change. He has to balance that against how many extra subs he will sell and/or current subscribers he would lose.

My (uninformed, I admit) gut feel is that the proportion of his user base that are bothered about this is a small one.

I subscribe to Navigraph where I can download and/or print up-to-date Jepp charts at trival cost. I can load those charts into SD, albeit not georeferenced. It's a bit of faff, but for the number of IFR trips I do it's more acceptable than having my pockets gouged by Boeing/Jeppesen even more than they do for the NavaData subscription I already have.

marioair
m
Yeah I agree - I suppose Tim and the SD team nees to do the ROI.

But the decision isn’t just about number of customers/people doing multi country IFR touring (which is where Jepp plates add value due to uniform charts). I’m not sure how much SD thinks they compete with FF. but this announcement, following Boeing’s capture of FF and Jepps, shows they are consolidating their offerings.

At the moment my choice, for example is

1) pay for and concurrently use in flight SD and FF and JeppCharts (won’t happen)
2) decide that FF has now tipped the balance in Europe for light IFR and give up my SD sub, start using FF for both VFR and IFR
3) use SD, AIP plates, printed Navigraph and cross check plates in every flight
4) give up on Jepp and familiarise myself X counties worth of AIP nomenclature, nuances and calculate RVR Manually etc

It’s not an easy choice.

I see FF v SD being similar to Apple v Android. FF are staring to lock you down to a whole ecosystem. Where’s with SD they’re pragmatic enough to take the best of breed - take Pooleys plays, OnlineGAR integration etc.

I’ve long held the view that if SD integrated with Jepp and Autoroute, that’s all they’d need to have a complete EFB for light GA in Europe
marioair
m
@tim Dawson - are you wiling go provide any insight on whether you’d consider talking to Jepp/Boeing?

For then small user base interested I don’t think cost would be the main factor - in other words I’d pay the Jepp rate plus a small additional fee for the integration in SD versus moving to ForeFlight or reverting to the SD AIP plates
mabe
m
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
marioair - 7/5/2021 4:36:48 PM
@tim Dawson - are you wiling go provide any insight on whether you’d consider talking to Jepp/Boeing? For then small user base interested I don’t think cost would be the main factor - in other words I’d pay the Jepp rate plus a small additional fee for the integration in SD versus moving to ForeFlight or reverting to the SD AIP plates

ack
marioair
m
mabe - 7/9/2021 7:58:19 AM
@tim Dawson - are you wiling go provide any insight on whether you’d consider talking to Jepp/Boeing? For then small user base interested I don’t think cost would be the main factor - in other words I’d pay the Jepp rate plus a small additional fee for the integration in SD versus moving to ForeFlight or reverting to the SD AIP plates

ack

? say again
mabe
m
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
marioair - 7/9/2021 8:04:54 AM

ack

? say again

should mean confirmation 

marioair
m
mabe - 7/9/2021 11:52:58 AM
marioair - 7/9/2021 8:04:54 AM

ack

? say again

should mean confirmation 

ok i must be a bit dim. what are you acknowleding! 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search