Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Virtual Glass Cockpit

Author
s
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Love your App. It is great for navigation and flight planning.

One great feature what I would like to see and also would pay for is a virtual Glas Cockpit like Garmin does have. So you would have all information with one view.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
What exactly are you referring to? Flight instruments such as artificial horizon etc, simulated on a tablet?
Edited 6/4/2021 8:54:17 AM by Tim Dawson
sthoeft
s
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/4/2021 8:54:03 AM
What exactly are you referring to? Flight instruments such as artificial horizon etc, simulated on a tablet?

This is exactly what I mean.

Like an artificial horizon, VSI, GSI, and terrain. Like a glass cockpit.

Garmin does have it in the Pilot App. But Skydemon is better in planning in my opinion.

Yakmarcus
Yakmarcus
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Das wäre eine großartige Erweiterung von SD.
Viele der anderen großen Anbieter haben diese Dinge schon lange implementiert.
SD ist super, aber dann wäre es noch besser!
Marcus
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
For what it's worth, my opinion is that a virtual glass cockpit, which can never be certified, would lead to an over reliance on such gadgetry by keeping eyes inside the cockpit instead of looking out, with a consequent propensity for increasing the accident rate and it has no place in SD which is meant to be an aid to VFR navigation. If this what you want and it is provided by an alternative product, why not use the alternative product? No-one is forcing you to continue using SD. I think it is wholly misguided to expect SD to include features just because other products have them. That's why there is a diverse range of products, so that differing consumer requirements can be catered for. The last thing we need is a plethora of products all offering the same or similar feature sets, many of which are likely to be poorly implemented, to the detriment of the product overall. SD caters for a niche market and does so very elegantly and efficiently, which is why it has enjoyed such resounding success and has won two Queen's Award for Industry.

In any case, whatever happened to good old fashioned airmanship? We are in danger of loosing those essential skills which are the backbone of competent airmanship. If your moving map, of whatever flavour, and your radio both fail and you find yourself lost in poor weather, could you find your way home using a limited panel, a VOR and/or ADF?

Rant over!

PS: I have no connection with SD whatsoever, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Yakmarcus
Yakmarcus
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Nö, ich möchte schon bei SD bleiben und trotzdem wäre es super diese Erweiterungen zu haben.
Diejenigen, die sie nicht nutzen möchten - kein Problem - Haken wegmachen und nicht nutzen :-)
So einfach kann das Leben sein - und vor allem - was wäre das Leben ohne Wünsche für ein Leben…
Marcus
sthoeft
s
Sky Painter - 6/5/2021 11:44:35 AM
For what it's worth, my opinion is that a virtual glass cockpit, which can never be certified, would lead to an over reliance on such gadgetry by keeping eyes inside the cockpit instead of looking out, with a consequent propensity for increasing the accident rate and it has no place in SD which is meant to be an aid to VFR navigation. If this what you want and it is provided by an alternative product, why not use the alternative product? No-one is forcing you to continue using SD. I think it is wholly misguided to expect SD to include features just because other products have them. That's why there is a diverse range of products, so that differing consumer requirements can be catered for. The last thing we need is a plethora of products all offering the same or similar feature sets, many of which are likely to be poorly implemented, to the detriment of the product overall. SD caters for a niche market and does so very elegantly and efficiently, which is why it has enjoyed such resounding success and has won two Queen's Award for Industry.

In any case, whatever happened to good old fashioned airmanship? We are in danger of loosing those essential skills which are the backbone of competent airmanship. If your moving map, of whatever flavour, and your radio both fail and you find yourself lost in poor weather, could you find your way home using a limited panel, a VOR and/or ADF?

Rant over!

PS: I have no connection with SD whatsoever, other than being a very satisfied customer.

No need to be ao aggressive. For me the role planing and flight plan is the main reason for SD as this is more complicated with Garmin. Also you can plan with PC and sync.

SD is good as it is. But why not add new features from time to time. And this would be a nice one and nobody is forced to use it.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
At present we do not plan on making SkyDemon into a GPS-based flight instrument, sorry. There are other apps that do this, with varying degrees of success.
psuter
psuter
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
sthoeft - 6/3/2021 3:48:37 PM
Love your App. It is great for navigation and flight planning.

One great feature what I would like to see and also would pay for is a virtual Glas Cockpit like Garmin does have. So you would have all information with one view.

You could use split screen view wit skydemon and for example ilevil's efis app. This way you have the full flexibility in choosing whatever adhrs hardware you want to use. The iLevil ones even act as gdl90 position and traffic source for skydemon (should, havent had a chance to test traffic, position works fine)

I see very little to no benefit having this functionality integrated into SD directly over a split screen view.

@sky painter
In my case i am using the ilevil wit the accompanying app in my experimental aircraft as backup instrument to my primary electronic PFD. We are required to have backups for airspeed, turn coordinator, altitude and compass and the backup must either be analogue or it must have an independant power source. The ilevil comes with its own batteries and pitot/static ports, the tablet in my airplane as well as my phone have their own batteries too and hence qualify as such a backup without eating up sparse panel space in a vfr aircraft with a small pannel or weighing a lot.. 

Split screen works perfect for this though

Cheers
Pascal

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search