Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Decimal times in Traces

Author
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
would it be possible to show the decimal times in the Traces pop-up with two digits after the comma ?
The way it is shown now is pretty much useless as it is rounded to one decimal place (error +/- 3 minutes).
Regards
Pascal

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Hi Tim,
if you touch this part of the code, could you please also correct the algorithm that calculates the duration times.
To get values of the duration time, that are consistent to start and stop times, the calculation must be done with the rounded (and displayed) start and stop time values instead of the raw values.
thx
Gerhard

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
There are two quite different issues being discussed here.

pgroell, I've never heard of anyone recording flight times in hours but with two decimal places. Is this common where you are? We know that the most common ways to record are in hours and minutes, or decimal hours but only with one decimal place.

Gerhard, rounding in flight logs is tricky. The trouble is, the start and finish times have already been rounded, and if we used those rounded times to produce the flight time, that would then be wrong by more than the product of rounding. I believe we did some work to resolve this with our Logbook feature, which adjusts the start and finish times to ensure that the times always look like they "add up". Perhaps we need to bring this into the flight log inspector within SkyDemon, we'll take a look at it at some point.

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
[quote]
Tim Dawson - 5/24/2021 9:27:23 AM
pgroell, I've never heard of anyone recording flight times in hours but with two decimal places. Is this common where you are? We know that the most common ways to record are in hours and minutes, or decimal hours but only with one decimal place.
Hi Tim,

I've done so for the last 34 years as the company I worked for used decimal with two places for all flight related times.
For consistency I do the same with my private flight times.
Maybe I should change now that I am retired !
Pascal

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Perhaps there's someone else who uses two decimal places who'll say something on this thread. At present I believe we log flight times in whole numbers of minutes, internally, so it would be difficult for us to change to something more granular than that.

Also, regarding the other issue, the next version of SkyDemon will make the rounding of flight log times consistent between our logbook feature and in-app log display, and should solve the issue where the maths looks wrong.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search