Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Geo-referencing user documents

Author
j
Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a series of user documents (i.e., plates) that I'd like to add to some airfields in SD. I understand I can upload the documents with the ICAO_ designator to make them available in the relevant tab. I would like to geo-reference them so that they can be appropriately overlaid on the map.

In my mind, it would require the following:
1. SD to make public what file and data format is to be used for geo-referencing PDF documents (must already exist in SD)
2. SD to make geo-rendering available to user documents (some dev effort to extend the existing feature)
3. A tool to be made available for users to geo-reference their documents

On #3, I could provide such a tool if needed as I have already built one for another application.

I believe it would unlock a lot of possibilities for more savvy SD users, especially for IFR flights and small airfields that provide their own plates but are not part of Pooley's / AFE / etc. What do you think?

Interested users, please like this post if you believe this could be a good addition to SD!

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
jbmoens - 2/10/2021 12:13:22 PM
I have a series of user documents (i.e., plates) that I'd like to add to some airfields in SD. I understand I can upload the documents with the ICAO_ designator to make them available in the relevant tab. I would like to geo-reference them so that they can be appropriately overlaid on the map.

1. SD to make public what file and data format is to be used for geo-referencing PDF documents (must already exist in SD)
2. SD to make geo-rendering available to user documents (some dev effort to extend the existing feature)

On #3, I could provide such a tool if needed as I have already built one for another application.

I believe it would unlock a lot of possibilities for more savvy SD users, especially for IFR flights and small airfields that provide their own plates but are not part of Pooley's / AFE / etc. What do you think?

Interested users, please like this post if you believe this could be a good addition to SD!

From my look into the issue, my personal impressions:
1. it is simple PDF and there seems to be no file based georef structure
2. yes, this function needs to be open (if it is not yet, still digging into it)
3. no tool whatsoever needed, the only thing is a ruler

Skydemon uses a simple one page standard PDF and puts information in a index.xml on where on the page a box to display is, how tall and how wide the box is and then a list of reference point on the basis of x,y position on the page equals latitude,longitude.

Yes, I would welcome too, if some standard would be used, such as a Maptiles structure or GeoPDF, but so far it looks as if Skydemon goes the easiest way out - which is fine, because switching all aviation agencies to deliver GeoPDF will not happen during the next years, or millennia.

Btw, how do I add User Documents for a field with ICAO denominator EGXY in Skydemon PC Plan? I tried to use the Textual Information button in Data Creator, but always get a 'No textual information plate was found for EGXY' error.

Edited 2/10/2021 1:28:58 PM by pilot-byom
jbmoens
j
Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)
pilot-byom - 2/10/2021 12:51:36 PM

From my look into the issue, my personal impressions:
1. it is simple PDF and there seems to be no file based georef structure
2. yes, this function needs to be open (if it is not yet, still digging into it)
3. no tool whatsoever needed, the only thing is a ruler

Skydemon uses a simple one page standard PDF and puts information in a index.xml on where on the page a box to display is, how tall and how wide the box is and then a list of reference point on the basis of x,y position on the page equals latitude,longitude.

Yes, I would welcome too, if some standard would be used, such as a Maptiles structure or GeoPDF, but so far it looks as if Skydemon goes the easiest way out - which is fine, because switching all aviation agencies to deliver GeoPDF will not happen during the next years, or millennia.

Btw, how do I add User Documents for a field with ICAO denominator EGXY in Skydemon PC Plan? I tried to use the Textual Information button in Data Creator, but always get a 'No textual information plate was found for EGXY' error.

To pass the geolocation info you describe, I was thinking of creating and uploading another small file with the same ICAO_name but a different extension (say .geo). The format could be simple xml, as is probably the case currently.

(Sorry, I don't use the PC version of SD)

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
jbmoens - 2/10/2021 1:48:27 PM
(Sorry, I don't use the PC version of SD)

I'd say no need for another .xml, it already is all there in the index.xml for the plates.

(You should give the PC version a try, pretty instructive to see how it is done)

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)

+1

Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)Too Much Forum (377 reputation)
 I already made a suggestion here about the same thing:

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search