Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Live Internet Traffic information?

Author
c
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Everyone,
having been a SkyDeamon and Stratux User for more than 2 years now I had the chance to appreciate how useful In-Flight Traffic information are, however due to the inherent unreliability of the Stratux hardware I found myself a few times in the air wondering why I had no traffic on the map when it was clear there were other airplanes with the transponder on nearby. I started wondering if an ADSB-in device could be (at least partially and with all the related limitations) replaced by feeding the app with traffic data retrieved on the web.
Recently another company introduced such feature in their EFB software proving that this can be done up to a certain extent, so I was wondering why not implementing it in SkyDeamon? After all SD is the leading EFB software in Europe and probably a large number of users that fly low enough to have some sort of data connection would appreciate it =)

Thanks! 

Edited 11/2/2020 1:01:02 PM by colmoschin94
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Internet-derived traffic information in flight would be a really bad idea. Such traffic is usually very inaccurate and would be extremely dangerous to use for tactical collision avoidance, as SkyDemon is designed for. That's quite apart from the latency and reliability issues associated with using mobile data in flight in the first place.

There may be a case for internet-delivered traffic data in planning mode to show very busy areas, but sourcing such data is not currently on our roadmap. If we see a lot of customer demand for such a feature, it would start to feature in our plans.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search