Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Allow to change to Location Services while in-flight (and vice versa)

Author
j
Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When in Go Flying mode, the connection to a third party device can fail, e.g., Sky Echo batteries running out, PAW instabilities due to poor charging connector, loss of GPS signal. It would be very useful to be able to switch back to Location Services without having to leave the Go Flying mode (and having to start a new flight, losing timers and having to stitch the two flight together afterwards).

A loss of position fix can be quite stressful while in flight. SkyDemon does not seem very helpful in such circumstances.

Alternatively, when in Location Service mode, one could then try to switch (back) to a third party device once the issue has been fixed, e.g., after having plugged the device into a USB charging port.

The above could be achieved in progressively more automated ways:
  • Manually by allowing the user to change the localisation service while in flying mode (e.g., via a menu under the SD logo)
  • SD could default or ask to default to Location Services when a loss of GPS is detected (e.g., by pressing a button located on the loss of GPS connection pop-up)
  • Automatically by defaulting to the best available service and re-upgrading when a better service becomes available (that would be awesome!)
What do you think?

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I like the idea of an automatic fallback, especially as many are now purchasing EC devices (in UK) due to the CAA rebate.
Tony

chris-bayern
c
Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)Too Much Forum (50 reputation)
I would also appreciate a fallback solution.

A few weeks ago I was in the air. SkyDemon was connected to SkyEcho 2 and after a while a connection error occurred unexpectedly. It quickly became clear that the SkyEcho 2 had switched off (probably the device was just getting too cold - the window was open and had blown on the device). The problem was quickly solved. But still it would be nice if SkyDemon would switch over with a corresponding message.

andrewflyboy1
a
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
I also have had 2 incidents recently when SD lost connection with SE with a consequent loss of position fix. Both a little stressful.
In the first case it resolved spontaneously after a minute or so. In the second case, I had to reset SD with a new flight which is not ideal.
I have emailed SD to suggest they upgrade the software to default to the iPad GPS in the event of a loss of connection to SE or at least offer this as an option in the setup.
I would suggest that avoiding a loss of position suddenly is more important than a loss of traffic info which could be flagged up anyway as a banner if there is a loss of connection to SE.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Since this thread started we did make a change to SkyDemon to allow switching to location services in the event of loss of comms with your SkyEcho. You can activate it when you see the green banner letting you know. Just press the i button and SkyDemon will offer to switch.

We don't want to make it fully automatic, because we want you to know what's going on and remain in control.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
This sounds like a good facility but is this for loss of position only with SE, Tim, or is it with any GPS source e.g PAW?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It works with PilotAware too. It isn't for loss of position, it's for loss of device (i.e. device failure).
Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/16/2021 9:52:16 AM
It works with PilotAware too. It isn't for loss of position, it's for loss of device (i.e. device failure).

If/when the original device becomes available, will SD revert?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Yes, automatically and immediately.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search