Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Custom Data airspace name location feedback

Author
Hamish Mead
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

Some feedback after experimenting with Custom Data recently:

1. The name field position of a custom airspace polygon is drawn either inside or outside the associated polygon depending on zoom level. This becomes an issue where the boundaries of two custom airspaces are close, or identical to one another. By comparison, the name field of official airspace supplied by SD doesn't behave like this – the name appears to be always drawn inside the polygon, which is the preferable behaviour. See the pics in the zip link below for examples of both points - and also note that there's no collision/overlap detection between the drawn names of custom and official datasets in pic 10.

2. It could be useful if user defined and official airspace was more clearly differentiated – currently they're both drawn in the same style and colour.

I attempted to attach some images to this post, however the upload times out (both linking or embedding on Chrome or Firefox; file size is quite minimal also) so here's a link to a zip containing some screen shots - please see the image names in the zip for details:

Hamish Mead
Hamish Mead
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
It appears a recent update fixed the above issue:

The name of each Custom Data airspace polygon (to display UK ASRs) is now always drawn within its respective polygon in SD, irrespective of zoom level.

Many thanks Tim and Team!

Hamish Mead
Hamish Mead
Hi Tim,

The previously reported issued seemed to have been fixed in a release around or before March.

The issue has recently returned, as the self made (UK ASR) custom airspaces shown below illustrate.

Correctly depicted custom airspace names, inside their respective polygons - only at this chart scale:

At any higher chart scale, the custom airspace names ‘jump’ outside their respective polygons leading to potential for confusion:

I know from previous discussions the depiction of UK ASRs in SD is itself a contentious issue, however I appreciate having the option Smile

Many thanks in advance if this custom airspace issue can be easily resolved again.

Hamish

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We haven't changed anything about this, as far as I am aware. I was happy to see your second post in this thread but I don't think it was because of anything we had done.

You'll probably find that reversing the order of coordinates solves the label-inside-polygon issue.

Hamish Mead
Hamish Mead
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the Top Tip!

Cheers!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore