Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feedback // iPad + GARMIN GPS GLO 2

Author
OOHFE
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

Being totally inexperienced with Apple, I'm looking for some user feedback regarding the recently release WiFi version of iPad (regular version, not the mini, air or pro) combined with the GARMIN GPS GLO 2 whilst using Skydemon in flight.

Currently a happy Android user but my current tablet is getting a bit outdated and some aviation apps are not Android compatible (like Jeppesen which I use frequently). Hence the decision to look into iPad. At our company, we use the 4G iPads which include GPS. But the additional cost for a basic GPS (iPad LTE) is absurd. And I'm not able to (constantly) use the company iPad for personal flights.

Is anyone using the WiFi only iPad combined with a GARMIN GPS (or any other brand)? Feedback using Skydemon (and general usage) is appreciated! Including 32GB vs 128GB. I would mainly use it for VFR SEP/MEP flights.

Thanks a lot in advance!

tony saunders
t
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)
OOHFE - 9/18/2020 1:45:59 PM
Hello,

Being totally inexperienced with Apple, I'm looking for some user feedback regarding the recently release WiFi version of iPad (regular version, not the mini, air or pro) combined with the GARMIN GPS GLO 2 whilst using Skydemon in flight.

Currently a happy Android user but my current tablet is getting a bit outdated and some aviation apps are not Android compatible (like Jeppesen which I use frequently). Hence the decision to look into iPad. At our company, we use the 4G iPads which include GPS. But the additional cost for a basic GPS (iPad LTE) is absurd. And I'm not able to (constantly) use the company iPad for personal flights.

Is anyone using the WiFi only iPad combined with a GARMIN GPS (or any other brand)? Feedback using Skydemon (and general usage) is appreciated! Including 32GB vs 128GB. I would mainly use it for VFR SEP/MEP flights.

Thanks a lot in advance!

hi
have tried garmin glo with a wi fi only i pad mini 4 
it connects ok on the ground but was intermitant in the air.
also same applied to a garmin gdl 90 3d
which i thought was most odd because connection to a cellular i pad mini 4 was fine
the connection is blue tooth in both cases 
so why it should be problem  who knows.
have bought sky eco 2 and that connects to both types of i pad just fine 
well they did until ios 14 came along 😢
but im sure sd will soon sort it 

OOHFE
OOHFE
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Thanks. 

Bought the GARMIN GPS GLO 2 in the meanwhile and testing it through multiple devices and OS.
Seems to work fine so far.

Rgds

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I have a Garmin GLO since 10 years (so I guess this must then be the “GLO 1”) and it works / worked just fine with a number of iPads that I owned.

The only thing I needed the replace twice was the rechargeable battery. It’s a standard cell phone battery, so you get them at any cellphone repair shop for next to nothing - or get the ‘original’ from Garmin.

I think when it comes to non-certified navigation tools, redundancy is the name of the game. Like having two tablets, and a smart phone, that all can stand in for each other. And having different GPS sources, with different power sources.
OOHFE
OOHFE
TimT - 10/4/2020 1:47:33 PM
I have a Garmin GLO since 10 years (so I guess this must then be the “GLO 1”) and it works / worked just fine with a number of iPads that I owned. The only thing I needed the replace twice was the rechargeable battery. It’s a standard cell phone battery, so you get them at any cellphone repair shop for next to nothing - or get the ‘original’ from Garmin. I think when it comes to non-certified navigation tools, redundancy is the name of the game. Like having two tablets, and a smart phone, that all can stand in for each other. And having different GPS sources, with different power sources.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
For what it's worth: I read that the only difference between Garmin Glo, and Garmin Glo 2 is a battery with a slightly bigger capacity (nominally +1 HR additional battery life).

While normally I have no issues with using the Glo GPS, recently I had intermittend GPS reception. But only on one iPad, not on another one (both iPads running the same iOS version 14.01). A web search suggested - as a last resort after having checked all other settings - to do a hard reboot of the iPad (press Power + Home button unil the Apple logo appears).

That seem to have fixed my problem.

Edited 10/18/2020 2:31:57 PM by TimT
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search