SkyDemon Forums

Feedback // iPad + GARMIN GPS GLO 2

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32178.aspx

By OOHFE - 9/18/2020 1:45:59 PM

Hello,

Being totally inexperienced with Apple, I'm looking for some user feedback regarding the recently release WiFi version of iPad (regular version, not the mini, air or pro) combined with the GARMIN GPS GLO 2 whilst using Skydemon in flight.

Currently a happy Android user but my current tablet is getting a bit outdated and some aviation apps are not Android compatible (like Jeppesen which I use frequently). Hence the decision to look into iPad. At our company, we use the 4G iPads which include GPS. But the additional cost for a basic GPS (iPad LTE) is absurd. And I'm not able to (constantly) use the company iPad for personal flights.

Is anyone using the WiFi only iPad combined with a GARMIN GPS (or any other brand)? Feedback using Skydemon (and general usage) is appreciated! Including 32GB vs 128GB. I would mainly use it for VFR SEP/MEP flights.

Thanks a lot in advance!
By TimT - 10/18/2020 1:47:00 PM

For what it's worth: I read that the only difference between Garmin Glo, and Garmin Glo 2 is a battery with a slightly bigger capacity (nominally +1 HR additional battery life).

While normally I have no issues with using the Glo GPS, recently I had intermittend GPS reception. But only on one iPad, not on another one (both iPads running the same iOS version 14.01). A web search suggested - as a last resort after having checked all other settings - to do a hard reboot of the iPad (press Power + Home button unil the Apple logo appears).

That seem to have fixed my problem.