Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Lee-on-Solent updated information

Author
G
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I've been using your brilliant software for a few years now, and if interested I have some updated information with regards to Lee-on-Solent airfield, as this is where I am based.

I was just thinking in these strange times and with the amount of recent reports of runway excursions and airspace infringements, any help would be welcomed.

The gliders are no longer at Lee. They left about 2 years ago back in mid 2018 (https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business/anger-decades-old-gliding-club-says-it-feels-forced-leave-its-home-daedalus-1034306). Currently the chart still shows Lee-on-Solent winch launching symbol, and the warning when approaching the ATZ when in flight.

The runway lengths shown on the plate is quite different to what is available for take off and landing. E.g LDA is 1025m. I have attached the AIP entry. Also on the Aerial Photography it shows the starter extension on the 124m of unusable/taxi way asphalt. Where in reality the Extension is arrowed area to the NE on the photography.

And finally, a warning SQUAWK of 4306 should be used when entering Lee airspace as advertised on their website ( https://www.solentairport.co.uk/solent_airport/pilotbriefing.aspx ).
I think this is due to the very close proximity of Southampton and Solent airspace, and helps them identify unidentified traffic intentions.

Thanks
Attachments
AIP-Entry.pdf (497 views, 37.00 KB)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Hello, thanks for your kind words and your feedback. There are a few different issues here. The UK AIP still states that the gliders are operating there (winch and tow) and our data has to reflect that official source, so the owners or operators of the airfield should definitely be encouraged to have the UK AIP updated, at which point SkyDemon will follow.

I will alert my colleague to this thread so she can look at the runway lengths and ensure we reflect what the AIP is saying.

We do not currently have a means within SkyDemon to allocate Squawks to individual airfields, only widespread officially-promulgated frequency-monitoring codes. We'll keep an eye on this however.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
To follow up, we've checked against the current AIP entry (the one you posted is very old) and our data about the runway lengths seems correct. If you'd like more detail or to follow up on this, could you contact our customer support? Many thanks.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search