Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Easy Read Items When In Flight. Safety Related.

Author
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Whilst I love SD and wouldn't leave the circuit without it I have had a few issues with presentation recently that have resulted in safety related issues and would request the following be considered for change:

1. The overprinting of airspace limits both upper and lower onto background colours can result in them being unreadable in sunlight and turbulence. I cite in particular the lower boundaries of TMA's. In one case I managed to clip Manchester's lower boundaries and nearly did the same with Birmingham recently which luckily was resolved by cross checking the virtual radar. Please, even if the boxes have to be expanded can we see the limits against a white background. It's easier on the eye, especially in difficult conditions. 

2. The use of the 'Direct To' box for airfields only results in most people opening the Pilot Log and then tapping the relevant waypoint to reach the shortcut menu. As the option to 'Take Shortcut' is adjacent to the that to 'Remove from Route' I've had the situation arise that in turbulence the latter is hit in error and the waypoint is lost. This results in a 'heads down, increased workload' rectification. Would it not be safer to place the Remove prompt to the bottom of the menu and add a confirmation box (Yes/No) before losing that leg. To be honest removing the current route from the Direct To box was a retrograde step and I do feel that consideration be given to it being reinstated. 

3. On the subject of the 'Direct To' menu, I've already raised this in the past and been rejected but I do feel that commonality with ATC phraseology would be better served by keeping things standard. If looking to route to a waypoint, beacon or airfield one asks ATC for 'Direct Routing' and the normal reply is 'Cleared Direct XXXX'. It's not standard to ask for a 'shortcut to' somewhere on the radio so why don't we keep the display prompts and RT phraseology standard? 

Rant over but thanks for a great product. 

Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)Too Much Forum (94 reputation)
127 Views and not one reply. 

A comment of some sort would be deemed a courtesy Mr Dawson. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Would you like me to move your ideas to the Suggestions forum where others may be more likely to weigh in?

We do not make significant changes to SkyDemon unless it is clear there is widespread desire for them.

Boeingboy
Boeingboy
As you wish although I apologise if this is the wrong place for my post. I presumed navigation was the most appropriate. 
Thanks. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search