Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Strange Logbook entries and wrong time calculation

Author
M
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good morning Gents,

I have a question regarding the logbook. I found some strange behavior I am not sure this is a bug are simply just uncomfortable to read.
I did a flight yesterday form a microlight site to an 4 letter Airport (Erkelenz to EDRF)
So the flight contained three parts, each with stops. 
1. form Erkelenz to EDRF
2. then a local flight from EDRF for 45 minutes back to EDRF
3. flight back from EDRF to Erkelenz

What the logbook recorded is a single logbook enty containing three segments but named as Erkelenz - Erkelenz

Below the first entry you can see a flight I did on the weekend from Erkelenz to EDWZ. There the first trip From Erkelenz to EDWZ is correctly listed as the flight back the late afternoon is.
Going into the Erkelenz to EDRF Details, I can see the individual flights in the correct order:

However I would expect that the flights are listed in the logbook main view as individual flights as this is the way a logbook is filed.
Also I found that the times in the logbook are wrong.If you see the times "start/landing"
Segment one Start 10:09, landing 11:28, resulting time (wrong 1:18) correct is 1:19
For all calculated times it is 1 Minute wrong. We might can say, c'mon it is just a Minute, it stays wrong

I have used another Navigation Software previously (Air Navigation Pro) and there the segments and times were correctly shown and calculated, including off block/on block. I know Tim's opinion about this and we do not need to argue this again, simply said others can do...

However I like SD and see it is the most advanced product in the market currently, but it would be even better to have these things sorted?

Some enhancements I would like to appreciate.
Edit function in the logbook. Currently no log can be edited. 
It would be nice if it would be possible to manually add on block / off block times.
Also the planes identification (when used SD the first time I had no aircraft profile active and so the logfile shows no Airplane identification

Landings (quantity) editable.
Sometimes I am just doing Touch and go or practice flights. So in the aerodrome traffic circuit I do 10 landings in some 20+ Minutes

Nowadays all this are resulting in individual flights... It would be more comfortable to delete these logs but one and to be able to edit this single log but add 10 Landings for example.

No Pax entry? In my old logbook I could add a Pax e.g. my wife I traveled with. Ii cannot find such in SD?

Of course everything I list here I can do with additional software or Excel files but I think it makes it more complicated, I do not want to have another application running while flying (e.g. specialized logbook app). I f the CSV file of SD is precise, import is easy for external solutions ( I am using filemaker as Database to have all my flights recorded or a XLS)

And as cherry on this list please , any possibility to add a manual "start" flight time landings in the logbook.

I have 380hours something and 520+ landings experience so far. No I have switched from Air Navigation Pro to SD, I would love to continue my "experience earned" in SD and simply set a start flight time (380 hours) and landings (520) so SD will takeover these values and continue the journey.....

double cherry.... import function of any defined logbook format so all recorded flights can be imported.......either it be CSV, textfile or xls. I don't care as long it is a format that makes sense....Can be using the Windows/Android or IOS version, I don't care...

Now I used SD a while I really have to say that it is by far the best and pilot oriented Software in the market. I know that the logbook is always a point of discussion and that the makers behind SD may think it is not an essential item. But for me as a pilot, SD is the single source of information and data collection. Therefore it would make SD more perfect and really? Does it hurt to improve it?

Thanks for your understanding and support
Andreas

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I am moving this to the suggestions forum as it seems to be mainly suggestions, and then others can have their say.
MOIN
M
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/24/2020 10:14:16 AM
I am moving this to the suggestions forum as it seems to be mainly suggestions, and then others can have their say.

Hi Tim,

the first part with the screenshots are no suggestions, they are an issue.

The part starting with "Some enhancements I would like to appreciate."

Are Suggestions.

So, can you comment on the "bug" then please?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
You're seeing the normal output of rounding to the nearest minute, where the raw data is recorded with sub-second accuracy.
MOIN
M
Tim Dawson - 7/27/2020 9:37:46 AM
You're seeing the normal output of rounding to the nearest minute, where the raw data is recorded with sub-second accuracy.

OK, that is fair but anyhow, why is Skydemon combining 3 different legs to one single logbook entry while it did not do this with the previous flights some days ago? at least all Airport identifiers are gone....

Should be 
Erkelenz-Kueckhoven -EDRF
EDRF-EDRF
EDRF-Erkelenz-Kueckhoven

but are listed as Erkelenz-Kueckhoven - Erkelenz-Kueckhoven

MOIN
M
MOIN - 7/27/2020 11:48:59 AM
Tim Dawson - 7/27/2020 9:37:46 AM

OK, that is fair but anyhow, why is Skydemon combining 3 different legs to one single logbook entry while it did not do this with the previous flights some days ago? at least all Airport identifiers are gone....

Should be 
Erkelenz-Kueckhoven -EDRF
EDRF-EDRF
EDRF-Erkelenz-Kueckhoven

but are listed as Erkelenz-Kueckhoven - Erkelenz-Kueckhoven

OK, reply to myself. I got an answer from your support Desk and it is my mistake. The above is caused when pressing manually "Block off" but then to forget to Press "Block on" after landing.....Then the flights are continuously recorded as one single leg...
Workaround is therefore easy, either remember to press  Block on/ Block Off manually (not realistic as it is an additional Task to do in the cockpit) or simply fully skip the Block Times. Last point is sad as Block times were part of my Logbooks in the past and Air Navigation Pro did handle the Task perfectly over the past 8 years....
( ja,ja I know not reliable in your opinion, at which speed the block off shall start, not reliable, not major part of SD  and so on....)

I Know your standard answer to this "We will not implement a function of another Software just because....." 
However just as comment, other had implemented this a bit more user friendly while you focus is more on the moving Map functionality, which is great!

Hopefully one day this approach will change a bit as a logbook is a part of the flight debriefing I really had used a lot as in Germany it is absolutely mandatory by authority to have a manually written Logbook beside any electronic recorded one. So as human beings are lazy by fact and sometimes forget to jot down times, a "backup" is always nice....
It is stupid that the law is like this but we cannot change that. 

So any enhancement to make life easier is welcome... at least a way to edit the logbook in SD.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Just so I understand correctly, was the strange behaviour because you forgot to switch out of navigation mode in SkyDemon? That's the only way I can think of to explain what you're seeing.

If you choose to log Blocks times, then we will automatically log "on blocks" for you if you forget to do it, but you do have to switch out of navigation mode. Otherwise we will assume you're making another flight.

MOIN
M
Tim Dawson - 7/28/2020 10:10:32 AM
Just so I understand correctly, was the strange behaviour because you forgot to switch out of navigation mode in SkyDemon? That's the only way I can think of to explain what you're seeing.

If you choose to log Blocks times, then we will automatically log "on blocks" for you if you forget to do it, but you do have to switch out of navigation mode. Otherwise we will assume you're making another flight.

Yep, looks like I really forgot to stop navigation mode....
OK, ne Software, new rules ;-)
In ANP, flights were automatically closed aftre the plane was not moving for more than 5 minutes... So I did not need to care about. For me it's logic because if a plane does not move anymore, either it is on ground or has a real issue ;-)

So I need to put a sticker somewhere for the next flights "Don't forget to stop navigation in SD " before it comes to "behavior"

For such cases, an editable Logbook makes pretty sense? Logbook entry anyway is wrong, so I need/should be able to correct it?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon doesn't currently have a logbook facility. It logs your flights (what actually happened) but that isn't the same as a logbook facility. You can summarise the SkyDemon logs that we've recorded which makes it very easy to fill in your logbook though.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search