Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Showing Flightradar on SD

Author
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello there,

Is there a possibility to show Flightradar or Planefinder traffic on SD while flying with an internet connection? 

Cheers,
Alexis

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 7/28/2020 8:29:51 PM
Hello there,

Is there a possibility to show Flightradar or Planefinder traffic on SD while flying with an internet connection? 

Cheers,
Alexis

This has been raised in these forums before. The data from FlightRadar24 and similar flight tracking websites is nowhere near accurate enough. I have recently observed a Cessna 150 at 18,000ft and 450kts and this behaviour is very common across all of the flight tracking websites.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Sky Painter - 7/29/2020 10:46:31 AM
Hello there,

Cheers,
Alexis

This has been raised in these forums before. The data from FlightRadar24 and similar flight tracking websites is nowhere near accurate enough. I have recently observed a Cessna 150 at 18,000ft and 450kts and this behaviour is very common across all of the flight tracking websites.

Hello Skypainter,
Good point.
One could also consider that even if some of the data is correct, it will still be giving us a partial information, as do all other systems if I understand correctly. For instance even if one had all hardware extensions supported by SD, it doesn't guarantee that all aircraft will be visible.

I think that showing Flightradar information would be a simple (for the user at least, no idea what it would mean for Tim to develop) solution that does not require any external hardware, would at least show some traffic and might cost a small fee.

As for your example, have you figured out if the flight information was wrong (altitude and speed) , the plane information was wrong (brand and type) or was the tail number wrong? Or do you think it was a bug on all three levels?

Cheers,
Alexis

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
Such data is often multilaterated, often with very poor results, and is nowhere near good enough for tactical traffic avoidance in flight.

It may be good enough for pre-flight awareness of where lots of people are currently flying, but that's a different conversation.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 7/29/2020 8:49:37 PM
Sky Painter - 7/29/2020 10:46:31 AM
Hello there,

Cheers,
Alexis

Hello Skypainter,
Good point.
One could also consider that even if some of the data is correct, it will still be giving us a partial information, as do all other systems if I understand correctly. For instance even if one had all hardware extensions supported by SD, it doesn't guarantee that all aircraft will be visible.

I think that showing Flightradar information would be a simple (for the user at least, no idea what it would mean for Tim to develop) solution that does not require any external hardware, would at least show some traffic and might cost a small fee.

As for your example, have you figured out if the flight information was wrong (altitude and speed) , the plane information was wrong (brand and type) or was the tail number wrong? Or do you think it was a bug on all three levels?

Cheers,
Alexis

...have you figured out if the flight information was wrong (altitude and speed) , the plane information was wrong (brand and type) or was the tail number wrong?

In the example I quoted, I can be reasonably confident that the aircraft type/reg is correct because the aircraft is known to me.

You could always try running FR24 in the background and bring it the foreground from time to time, or in run it and SD in split screen mode, if supported by your device, or run FR24 on a separate device, but in my experience, internet connection whilst flying is very flaky at the best of times. Too many "ifs and buts" to my mind! Personally, I would not want to place any reliance on FR24 or anything similar. In addition to altitude/speed errors, from personal experience, position errors are also very common.

I prefer to rely on SkyEcho2 with Flarm decoding enabled, which catches a majority of traffic, but until such time as ADS-B Out is mandated for all aircraft, we will have to accept that current traffic awareness systems are far from perfect.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search