Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

PilotAware wifi + comms error

Author
chipmeisterc
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I have noticed what I'm assuming must be a common error when running Sky Demon with PilotAware.

SkyDemon appears to see PilotAware as a wifi hotspot and as such assumes there is an internet connection available (which being Pilot Aware there never will be) and as such attempts to check for uploads. Subsequently when this times out a red error prompt is visible on screen. This appears going into planning mode and again when going flying.

The device is a Nexus 7 with a sim connection, but sadly the device is either or with wifi/mobile data not both and therefore it is not possible to use the sim for data whilst connected to Pilot Aware.

Is there an easy way to disable these error prompts whilst the Pilot Aware is connected, or more specifically stop it from assuming there should be an internet connection available? It is a little frustrating seeing them appear for what is essentially always going to be that behavior.

Many thanks,
Chris

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Wasn't there a similar challenge with Flarm devices? I suspect the flaw may be the way the Pilotaware offers WiFi and not at the receiving end. Are you sure your Android version is able to change the way WiFi is connected, so the common workarounds via virtual router works?
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Change the ‘Internet Usage’ setting to ‘Live Data when Planning’?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
SkyDemon no longer shows any sort of connectivity errors while flying, and even during planning you just see a red background to the Setup menu while it retries periodically. You should check whether you're using the latest version.

Devices that offer wifi connectivity have the power to tell iOS whether or not they provide internet connectivity through their hotspot. It's possible that the device you're using is erroneously telling iOS (and therefore running apps) that it offers internet, so apps will therefore try to use it.

chipmeisterc
chipmeisterc
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/8/2020 9:21:56 AM
SkyDemon no longer shows any sort of connectivity errors while flying, and even during planning you just see a red background to the Setup menu while it retries periodically. You should check whether you're using the latest version.

Devices that offer wifi connectivity have the power to tell iOS whether or not they provide internet connectivity through their hotspot. It's possible that the device you're using is erroneously telling iOS (and therefore running apps) that it offers internet, so apps will therefore try to use it.

Thanks Tim, I'll get SD on the tablet updated and report back.
PS it's Android not iOS should that make any difference. (Assuming not)
I'll ping the PAW guys and see if they have any suggestions on the connectivity side - I'm assuming that's likely to be a hardware configuration issue vs a PAW software issue?
Thanks again

Alan999
A
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
I was really excited when I found a way around this today for my Android 9 tablet so that I could connect to PilotAware, and get live data for weather, etc in Skydemon at the same time.  My process was to go to: Settings > Connections > Data usage > Mobile data only apps. I turned this on and and tapped to select Skydemon from a list of apps that came up, then Skydemon appeared to be forced to use mobile data even when the wifi was connected to PilotAware. It worked on my Samsung J5 phone as well (Android 9).
Hope this helps

Edited 8/4/2020 9:26:25 PM by screamingalanAAH!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search