Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Add high resolution terrain

Author
Florian Meissner
Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I am using Skydemon for a couple of years now and am really happy with it. Because I will go to the States for a pilots vacation soon, I tried to download high resolution terrain for the Appalachian region but it seems that the SD server is not providing data there.

PC:
Since ‌‌it looks like the terrain files for Europe are identical with the SRTM file from NASA I wonder if I could just download from them and past it into my Skydemon folder along the European files. Or might this cause any problems because SD has reworked their charts in any special way?

Android:
Also I wonder where SD stores it's terrain data on mobile devices. I activated the automatic downloading function but while moving the map around in northern Germany no files seem to be downloaded. How can I check is the files were indeed loaded or did I do something wrong in the first place?

So far, everyone a good slide into the new year!

Florian‌‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
You're correct that we don't currently provide high-res terrain for that region. Use of SkyDemon in the USA is discouraged and our charting there shouldn't be regarded as comprehensive.

The terrain tiles we use are in the SRTM3 format at this stage, though that's undocumented and subject to change. I can't recall where in the Android filesystem we store these, you'd have to dig around yourself. This is all unsupported territory.‌‌
Florian Meissner
Florian Meissner
Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)Too Much Forum (268 reputation)
So far thanks for your info and a happy new year. In this case I will try to load the terrain files myself and see if it works. Btw, it was on the forum before that you don't supply a US Sectional chart style. But how deep is this coded into SD? Is there any change one could build his own style or could i help you in providing data and work?

About the comprehensiveness of the chart data, I compared SD's map with a current Atlanta sectional for the souther Tennessee area and so far I couldn't find anything missing. If I find errors or missing data, do you like to get the custom data files for that?‌‌

Florian‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
No, we have no current plans or desire to be used more in the USA. You cannot create your own chart style in SkyDemon.
Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 1/2/2018 10:51:02 AM
You're correct that we don't currently provide high-res terrain for that region. Use of SkyDemon in the USA is discouraged and our charting there shouldn't be regarded as comprehensive.

The terrain tiles we use are in the SRTM3 format at this stage, though that's undocumented and subject to change. I can't recall where in the Android filesystem we store these, you'd have to dig around yourself. This is all unsupported territory.

You might want to look at newly released AW3D30 model by the Japanese space agency (last update was at the begging of 2019):
https://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/aw3d30/index.htm

It's absolutely free, with good resolution and it's DSM. Unlike DEM and DTM, Digital Surface Model includes vegetation and man-made structures (which is a good thing for pilots Smile ).

Edited 3/3/2020 7:34:09 AM by 177
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Looks interesting!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search