Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD intelligence with ‘circular’ (return) routes a bit off

Author
vfr-uk
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When flying a 110nm local ‘circular’ route of about 10 waypoints - SD got confused about where in the journey I was.

Ten minutes into a planned hour journey, and just slightly off planned track (so between an outbound and return track), SD highlighted the return leg and gave the return heading to steer. The Plog had also jumped right down to that leg. This persisted for quite a while and initially caused some confusion in busy airspace. Thankfully it was obvious something wasn’t working and I resumed own nav.

I query SDs logic here. I was pretty much on track, and was heading pretty much on the planned heading, and was only 10 minutes into the flight, so roughly flying per the planned log - was clearly outbound - yet SD had jumped half an hour or more ahead in the Plog and to a leg with almost reciprocal heading.

I appreciate SD has some logic to ‘guesstimate’ where you are in your Plog - I notice it jumping in simulator mode - and assume it just tries to fit you back in at the most sensible place - in fact it did this well when I skipped a section later on.

But I suggest overall it needs a bit more intelligence. It shouldn’t be actively presenting the wrong headings when logic says you’re following the route as planned.

Edited 9/22/2019 7:55:05 AM by vfr-uk
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The last thing it needs is more intelligence. Initially (just after we launched) SkyDemon would be very intelligent about what part of your route it thought you were flying, requiring all sorts of things to advance you along your route, with many special cases for cutting corners, taking shortcuts etc.

It didn't work at all. Nobody understood how SkyDemon worked out what part of their route they were on, because it was too hard.

Now, SkyDemon selects the leg you're closest to, with a little filtering being applied for grossly different headings.

If you find it isn't working, please post a screenshot which shows exactly what sort of route you've got and where you were on it, and how you think SkyDemon has got it wrong. We may be able to tweak something, but we certainly won't be making it any more complicated.

vfr-uk
vfr-uk
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
So you want your product to lack intelligence (or even common sense)! Mmmmm.

I think I’ll just stop giving useful feedback....
Edited 10/12/2019 8:55:23 PM by vfr-uk
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I note you did not accept my invitation to help us further by providing an example we could all look at.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search