Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Configurable Pilotaware details

Author
p
Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I've gotten hold of a new Android tablet with 4G to use SD and Pilotaware. Annoyingly though it seems I can't use live data while flying as connecting the tablet to PAW makes it try to use PAW as the route out to the Internet, bit dumb as it warns me it has no Internet connection but there you go.

I've done some research and found this to be an occasionally reported problem and probably one of the reasons SD has the option to only use live data when not flying. I also found that it's possible for a power user like me to configure Pilotaware to be a Wifi client rather than AP which raises the possibility of the tablet running a hotspot it connects to and then using 4g as you'd expect. The problem there though is that it looks like SD has the Pilotaware address of 192.168.1.1 hard coded, or at least not user configurable.

Would it be possible to make the IP SD uses for Pilotaware configurable by the user? Bit of an edge case I know but probably would be fairly trivial! That setup would also allow Pilotaware to talk to the Internet too for wireless software updates and maybe in future live traffic data when out of range of a base station if they thought that was a good idea.

Thanks for a great product by the way!

Peter.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Thanks Peter for the suggestion but I'm afraid it's very unlikely. We try very hard not to add options to SkyDemon that only advanced users understand and could hope to use, because a great many of our users dislike the perceived complexity they add. We hold the simplicity of our user interface as one of the most important things about the product.
pspikings
p
Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)Junior Member (14 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2019 10:09:51 AM
Thanks Peter for the suggestion but I'm afraid it's very unlikely. We try very hard not to add options to SkyDemon that only advanced users understand and could hope to use, because a great many of our users dislike the perceived complexity they add. We hold the simplicity of our user interface as one of the most important things about the product.

I understand that and it's great in itself but there's a competing priority here which is not to let simplification impede an advanced user's ability to use a product in a non standard way if they choose to do so for whatever reason. It would be a bigger change than simply adding an option to override the IP but what about having an advanced settings area with a big fat warning not to mess with anything you don't fully understand and with a reset to defaults button ?

Just some food for thought, I bet I'm not the only one with a similar problem.

Thanks,

Peter.

pspikings
p
pspikings - 10/5/2019 4:12:18 PM
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2019 10:09:51 AM

I understand that and it's great in itself but there's a competing priority here which is not to let simplification impede an advanced user's ability to use a product in a non standard way if they choose to do so for whatever reason. It would be a bigger change than simply adding an option to override the IP but what about having an advanced settings area with a big fat warning not to mess with anything you don't fully understand and with a reset to defaults button ?

Just some food for thought, I bet I'm not the only one with a similar problem.

Thanks,

Peter.

Or plan B: now that Pilotaware can use UDP work with them to have Pilotaware broadcast packets to 255.255.255.255 and SD can just listen without doing any session establishment so it's still very simple for the user and Pilotaware no longer needs to have a fixed IP on the wifi so can run in host AP mode OR as a client to the tablet phone in hotspot mode which will solve this properly!

Thanks,

Peter.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search