Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for Mac OS X (unofficially)

Author
a
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey,

is there an official or actual flight planning tool for OS X?
The download link on the website of SkyDemon doesn't work.

Thomas Jensen
Thomas Jensen
Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)
arne - 3/29/2020 4:13:30 PM
Hey,

is there an official or actual flight planning tool for OS X?
The download link on the website of SkyDemon doesn't work.

Hi Arne,
Not from SkyDemon. This forum topic is all about trying to make the official windows version of SkyDemon to run on Mac OS X, using a variety of approaches. 
Personally, I am not sure what currently is the best option but recent discussions have mentioned Crossover as a way to make it work. 
Please share your findings here in the forum for benefit of all.
Regards,
TJ

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
In my experience, the easiest way to run SD fully featured with a reliable faff-free user experience on a Mac is to run it in a virtual Windows machine using something like VirtualBox as a platform. 
Edited 3/30/2020 6:04:19 AM by grahamb
Thomas Jensen
Thomas Jensen
Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)Too Much Forum (844 reputation)
grahamb - 3/30/2020 6:02:48 AM
In my experience, the easiest way to run SD fully featured with a reliable faff-free user experience on a Mac is to run it in a virtual Windows machine using something like VirtualBox as a platform. 
Thanks for the suggestion, I had not seen VirtualBox until now and it looks good (& free!). I used to run Parallels as a VM platform with Win10 but it's a bit cumbersome when you try to keep them all updated (so frequent and +cost every year); Updating Parallels, Windows, SkyDemon and OSX is almost a full-time job. 
I was hoping that SD would make an SD version for OSX or a configuration including a wrapper but that dream is fading...
With some more time, thanks to Corona, I'll try Crossover and share my findings here.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Thomas Jensen - 3/30/2020 1:43:16 PM
grahamb - 3/30/2020 6:02:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I had not seen VirtualBox until now and it looks good (& free!). I used to run Parallels as a VM platform with Win10 but it's a bit cumbersome when you try to keep them all updated (so frequent and +cost every year); Updating Parallels, Windows, SkyDemon and OSX is almost a full-time job. 
I was hoping that SD would make an SD version for OSX or a configuration including a wrapper but that dream is fading...
With some more time, thanks to Corona, I'll try Crossover and share my findings here.

As you say, VirtualBox is free and updates are easy to apply. For a simple Win10/SD set up, once done if what you have works, there is no need to apply every VB update anyway. 

MOIN
M
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Good news,

latest with upcoming of Mac OS Big Sur, it should be not an issue for the makers of Skydemon to re compile the IOS version for OSX as the Core will be mostly the same.
So latest then there is no argument left not to have a Desktop version.
As in the Future Intel processors will not be supported anymore, all solutions using virtualization Software like VMWARE, Parallels, will most likely die as Apple will switch fully to ARM processors, which are already used in the iPad/iPhone....
For a transistion time of 2-4 years it might be possible to use the older Mac's but as after 5 years normally Apple declares them as "vintage" 
SD should re consider this :-)

Benjamin9a
B
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)
rikur - 11/29/2015 7:52:26 AM
C82R (11/28/2015)

Do you have a link for France & Benelux data?

France: http://data.skydemon.aero/countries/getdata.aspx?fileid=2859 
Benelux: http://data.skydemon.aero/countries/getdata.aspx?fileid=2853 
However, I'm not sure how reliable this approach is - for example these links might stop working or may not ensure that you have up to date charts. 
Still no idea why some people cannot download the charts unfortunately.

hii

juliettaylor
j
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
rikur - 11/29/2015 7:52:26 AM
C82R (11/28/2015)

Do you have a link for France & Benelux data?

France: http://data.skydemon.aero/countries/getdata.aspx?fileid=2859 
Benelux: http://data.skydemon.aero/countries/getdata.aspx?fileid=2853 
However, I'm not sure how reliable this approach is - for example these links might stop working or may not ensure that you have up to date charts. 
Still no idea why some people cannot download the charts unfortunately.

hii

thierryr65
t
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)
Hello,

if you have a Mac with M1 that's work fine ;-)

IOS app on Mac

For this, the steps are very simple:

on the Mac App Store, all you have to do is click on their profile at the bottom left, and access their account window.

at the top, there are two links: "Apps for Mac" (selected by default) and "iPhone and iPad Apps" (which must be selected)

The iOS application will be installed like any other Mac application and can be opened from the “Launchpad”, the Store or the Applications folder. To go faster, you can also use the search tool and type in the names of the applications, then click on the "iPhone and iPad applications" tab under the list of results.

Some applications have a small warning “Designed for iPhone (or iPad). Not verified for macOS ”, which means that they are not optimized for use on a Mac: they are therefore usable but the result may present some design or interface issues (since created to run on a iPhone or / and iPad).

Thierry (OO-ECS)

Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I've had a good search through this thread, and couldn't find an answer. I've got 2 printing problems.

1) I'm using Virtual Box (6.1.28) emulating(?) Win10 on a MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.13.6 (shortly to be updated to latest o/s). 

SD runs pretty well, but printing isn't possible, and I have to revert to a Win10 PC.

2) 2nd problem: on the Win10 PC, SD prints OK except for PDFs of airfield plates, which I have to transfer back to the MacBook for printing.

Rather clumsy workarounds, I realise.

Is there anything I can tweak?

Thanks in advance.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search