Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Improve alternate planning

Author
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When choosing an alternate it draws a direct to it. Is there a way to plan the alternate properly. There’s obviously too many variable as to how and when one would choose to route to an alternate. However if you’ve rubber-banded the route from your destination to alternate in advance it gives you much less work figuring out things like heights, times and NOTAMs / restricted airspace. (And not ignoring pointless notams/warnings because you’d never fly the direct route.

A diversion is a busy time so having some of the route plotted will give you an easy way of “intercepting” your diversion route, knowing you only need to worry about the bit between where you are and the diversion route
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Why not plan the route from DEP-DEST-ALT as a two leg route, but touching 'Land Here' for the DEST?

Once in-flight, if you need to divert, just touch the diversion leg and it will 'bring it alive'.

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Because if messes up your pilot log, fuel planning, flight plan. Should I go on?
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
marioair - 8/31/2019 5:03:31 PM
Because if messes up your pilot log, fuel planning, flight plan. Should I go on?

In that case I can't see what your problem is. 

When I plot an alternate it doesn't paint the amber dotted line from DEP to ALT, it paints it in the way you are requesting, from DEST to ALT.

marioair
m
I want to plan from DEST to ALT but with ability to have legs and different heights. It just puts in a dotted line direct between the two going through whatever restricted, class A etc airspace happens to be in the way
grahamb
grahamb
I suspect what you are asking for is a major revision to the way SD works, for something that rarely occurs.

A work around would be to plan as it works now, so your fuel plan etc 'work' but also set up another route from DEST to ALT. If you had to actually divert, you could just stop navigation mode, select the DEST-ALT route, and restart 'go-flying' mode.

marioair
m
Yeah I know. And your suggestion would work fine. My point is, a diversion is normally a high workload time so messing around on your iPad isn’t a great idea. I think also flipping to a new route would also mean you lose quick access to things on the original plog like Off block time, elapsed time etc
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
In my experience, the decision to divert to your alternate often needs to be taken before reaching DEST, so when route planning in SD, I do not generally plan an alternate. Rather, having planned my route, I then choose one or more alternates along my route and make a note of them. Then if it becomes necessary to divert in flight, I chose the most appropriate alternate, and select Route Direct.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

marioair
m
I hope you’re not saying you don’t plan your alternates on the ground? How do you know which notams to lay attention to. You cant route direct to your alternate if there’s airspace in the way and, as great as SD is, certainly wouldn’t be trying to figure that all in fight
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
marioair - 9/1/2019 5:42:00 PM
I hope you’re not saying you don’t plan your alternates on the ground? How do you know which notams to lay attention to. You cant route direct to your alternate if there’s airspace in the way and, as great as SD is, certainly wouldn’t be trying to figure that all in fight

Of course I plan my alternates on the ground, and check any relevant NOTAM. I just do not include my alternates in my SD route plan, so no dashed lines!

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search