Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Compute TOD for landing based on circuit?

Author
c
Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

I'm still working on my PPL, and as part of flight preparation, I always draw a line on the chart where to start the descent (from circuit-altitude, at a 5deg descent, my TOD is just before flying over that road). This may be especially important in Switzerland, because the standard circuit is absent here.

Since skydemon can draw the circuits now, are there any plans to also let it compute the TOD along the circuit? Or maybe it's already possible and I missed it?

Thanks!

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
How should Skydemon determine the runway in use? When in training, include a waypoint at the position you intend to be at circuit altitude and make sure the leg property is descent before waypoint. You may most probably never again use that after license ready ...
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
There are many reasons why becoming dependent on technology or too mechanistic an approach to do something at this stage of your training is a bad idea.

As your training progresses, you will acquire the skill to not only determine an appropriate point at which to commence a descent, but also learn techniques for adjusting your descent rate to compensate for such things as wind shear, sinking/rising air, terrain that obstructs the approach etc.

You are flying a light aircraft, not an airliner!
Edited 6/18/2019 1:17:13 PM by grahamb
chrisn
c
Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)Too Much Forum (244 reputation)
MarkusM - 6/18/2019 12:30:16 PM
How should Skydemon determine the runway in use? When in training, include a waypoint at the position you intend to be at circuit altitude and make sure the leg property is descent before waypoint. You may most probably never again use that after license ready ...

It could be for every runway (and right/left circuit if available). I just draw a small line perpendicular to the circuit on the paper map. Since SD draws the circuit, I was hoping it could do the other line too.

I must admit, I have no idea how useful this remains after obtaining the license. As an example, imagine flying to LSPN, RWY 15 is in use: how do non-students guess on where to set flaps-20 and reduce power?

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
‘As an example, imagine flying to LSPN, RWY 15 is in use: how do non-students guess on where to set flaps-20 and reduce power?‘

It is called basic airmenship and if you learn at a good training facility, they‘ll definitely teach you!
Edited 6/19/2019 9:30:53 AM by MarkusM
robinbalen
r
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)
I think this could be a cool feature, when linked with the “make approach” button which will already show you lots of helpful information when you select which runway, the circuit direction and joining type.

I know we’re not flying airliners, but anything to help with situational awareness and increase the changes of a stable approach is a good thing in my eyes!
pilot-byom
p
Situational Awareness is a good thing, but all these electronic gadgets increase and the lull-factor overwhelms the benefit of awareness.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
This sort of thing feels like a step too far for SkyDemon.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search