Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Decommissioned VOR on charts

Author
A
Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I'm new to SkyDemon and still evaluating it - with so much else around it's tough to make a choice.  Overall I'm impressed with usability etc. but am concerned that the charts show up a VOR that was decommissioned over 3 years ago.  It is in South Africa, which is a supported region, so I was a little surprised.  And to be honest quite concerned - if a VOR hasn't been corrected, what else?

The guilty VOR is HBV, which was withdrawn by the CAA on this AIP Supplement:

I hoped that existing users may be able to shed some light on experiences you've had?  Is my concern misplaced?

Thanks
Andrew

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Even if VORs are decommissioned they, or better their positions, are still used in the definition of Viktor ways and as waypoints on GPS overlays. Only very few are renamed from VOR to WPT, afaik to not confuse older documents. Even though GPS finally came to our cockpits rather late and is now quite popular, that doesn't mean aviation became less traditional.

Short, it is common to see decommissioned VOR on aviation charts.
Andrew
A
Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)Too Much Forum (81 reputation)
MarkusM - 5/11/2019 2:59:18 AM
Even if VORs are decommissioned they, or better their positions, are still used in the definition of Viktor ways and as waypoints on GPS overlays. Only very few are renamed from VOR to WPT, afaik to not confuse older documents. Even though GPS finally came to our cockpits rather late and is now quite popular, that doesn't mean aviation became less traditional.Short, it is common to see decommissioned VOR on aviation charts.

Thanks for the reply MarkusM - appreciate your comments, although as a new pilot I find them worrying...
My concern as a pilot using traditional navigation techniques is that this VOR is listed on the chart with a frequency etc.  There's nothing to tell a pilot unfamiliar with the area that they can't rely on it to navigate by, and a traditional pilot without a GPS could therefore be up a creek without a paddle (to mix metaphors).  It's not a valid fix on a Flightplan.  There are no NOTAMS to warn the pilot, just an AIP Supp from 2016...
I guess my concern is primarily that the VOR is no longer in the AIP, so therefore should not be on Skydemon - in order to stay current, I'd assume Skydemon would regularly synchronise itself with the AIP.  This doesn't appear to have happened here, so my question then is what other elements are not current.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
SL, you will find out during your flying career that is is quite common for a VOR to be unavailable, be it by NOTAM for maintenance or you are in an area where radial x to y is unreliably received or it is just plain broken. A pilot unfamiliar with an area will never rely on a sole VOR, so no surprise or harm. Even if a VOR is decommissioned, it may be temporary, you can't really tell for sure and many of them are also stored in serviceable condition for emergencies with a few hours recovery for the unlikely event of GPS outage. the next solar storm will come and they usually keep the reliable stuff handy for backup. He who navigates on VOR is typically also able to do the dead reckoning as backup ;-).
Edited 5/12/2019 6:58:17 AM by MarkusM
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
We are still looking into this. The HBV VOR is still listed in the AIP under Approach and Departure Procedures, apparently, so we are checking whether it has been miscategorised or should have been removed from the AIP.
Andrew
A
Tim Dawson - 5/14/2019 9:57:48 AM
We are still looking into this. The HBV VOR is still listed in the AIP under Approach and Departure Procedures, apparently, so we are checking whether it has been miscategorised or should have been removed from the AIP.

Hi Tim
Many thanks - appreciate it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search