Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Can iPad mini use GPS from Android Phone?

Author
H
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I want to use SD on a WiFi only iPad mini. Instead of buying a separate GPS device, I would prefer using the Android phone that I carry anyway. But I have not been able to make it work, no matter which GPS sharing app I install on the phone.

Is it possible ti achieve this and can anyone tell me how?

Thanks in advance

Erik
Tags
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
You need an app streaming the GPS date via BLE stack, so the iOS device gets a connection as listener. Most of the times it is the BT hardware too old on the android. I just tried GPS2IP on an iPhone to serve an iPad and that works fine.

But frankly, I would invest in a dedicated BT GPS in such case, or sell the iPad and get a cellular with GPS. Wasting energy to power the android phone appears awkward.
Edited 3/28/2019 5:12:35 PM by MarkusM
Hougaard
H
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Hi MarkusM,

I am struggling making it work. Even when installing GPS2IP on an iPhone, the iPad does not recognize that GPS data is available. Any idea why?

I might very well end up buying an external GPS, but having experienced all these problems, I'd like to see it work before spending the money. The reasoning behind using the phone was that it would provide internet connectivity while airborne without the need for an additional SIM card for a cellular iPad.

Best regards,

Erik

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
You should really acquire a proper Bluetooth external GPS for your iPad.
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)
Hougaard - 3/30/2019 1:11:01 PM
Hi MarkusM,

I am struggling making it work. Even when installing GPS2IP on an iPhone, the iPad does not recognize that GPS data is available. Any idea why?

I might very well end up buying an external GPS, but having experienced all these problems, I'd like to see it work before spending the money. The reasoning behind using the phone was that it would provide internet connectivity while airborne without the need for an additional SIM card for a cellular iPad.

Best regards,

Erik

Erik,

I bought an iPad mini 4 with the mobile data option in December last and it mostly works in giving SD its location but obviously that is not good enough.

I fly a PA28 and give SD the location now via my PAW device and that works fine.

Until I got the PAW I used a BT GNS 5870 MFI device and that worked fine over several years with either iPad 2 or iPad mini 2

Phil

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search