Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Weather Briefing format changes 3.12.4

Author
Ridders
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Im using 3.12.4 on iPhone/iPad 
The changes to the weather briefing for TAF is somewhat disjointed (and for me not as easy to read as it should be).

The example below - The PROB40 relates to the subsiquent TEMPO period forecast on the next line, so should really be displayed one line down.  

Again same for the PROB30 thats further down, it relates to the TEMPO weather on the next line between 2203/2208 

Personally I like just the raw data (and I mean real raw, not tarted up and seperated onto different lines as here) as I can read METAR/TAF's really quickly, however if its being split up like above, then the probablity shoud be displayed alongside the following weather period that it actually applies to.

Also - Can we also have a menu section in the settings that does away with all this spacing thats been introduced so its shown in its raw format?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Point taken about the line breaks, for the moment we will get rid of them in the raw output.
pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)

If you put the linebreaks at the right place the TAF makes much more sense and enhances situation awareness.
The highlights in the dark image show the timeframe the airfield is to be used according to the flightplan times. They are not needed in SD in my opinion.

Edited 3/21/2019 10:38:23 AM by pgroell
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Are you suggesting we strip out part of the TAF?
pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
No !!
It's the white highlight that is not needed in SD, the whole TAF must be shown.
Sorry if my message was not clear.

(I was just making a remark about the fact that some parts of the TAF are highlighted, this highlight is using the flightplan's predicted time of use of that airfield. The screenshot is from the software used at my airline)

JanR
JanR
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Ridders - 3/21/2019 9:08:01 AM
Im using 3.12.4 on iPhone/iPad 
The changes to the weather briefing for TAF is somewhat disjointed (and for me not as easy to read as it should be).

The example below - The PROB40 relates to the subsiquent TEMPO period forecast on the next line, so should really be displayed one line down.  

Again same for the PROB30 thats further down, it relates to the TEMPO weather on the next line between 2203/2208 

Personally I like just the raw data (and I mean real raw, not tarted up and seperated onto different lines as here) as I can read METAR/TAF's really quickly, however if its being split up like above, then the probablity shoud be displayed alongside the following weather period that it actually applies to.

Also - Can we also have a menu section in the settings that does away with all this spacing thats been introduced so its shown in its raw format?

I second that, please consider  providing raw TAF without line breaks as  in earlier versions. If you keep the line breaks ,then please minimize the spacing between.

Thanks.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
If you prefer raw TAF and METAR data, you can select that option in Settings on the Weather Tab. On the PC version, just click on the Decode button to toggle between raw data and decoded data.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

pgroell
pgroell
I think you are wrong.
The Decoded TAF is very verbose, showing Pressure : xxx, Wind : xxx   etc.  (see picture).
What is discussed here is that the "not decoded" TAF is shown with linebreaks that are at the wrong place.
What would be best is either a TAF without linebreaks or with linebreaks that don't split up informations like PROB40 TEMPO.

The picture show the Decoded and Non Decoded TAF on a PC.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
pgroell - 3/23/2019 5:06:42 PM
I think you are wrong.
The Decoded TAF is very verbose, showing Pressure : xxx, Wind : xxx   etc.  (see picture).
What is discussed here is that the "not decoded" TAF is shown with linebreaks that are at the wrong place.
What would be best is either a TAF without linebreaks or with linebreaks that don't split up informations like PROB40 TEMPO.

The picture show the Decoded and Non Decoded TAF on a PC.

I take your point on the line breaks – they shouldn't really be there, but they don't prevent me from reading or correctly interpreting the raw data.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Ridders
Ridders
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Thanks Tim!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search