Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

AVGAS weights and densities for weights and balance.

Author
GTSAS
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My weights and balances calculations are quite far out due to miscalculation on fuel.
My SD seems to be using 8.2 lbs/USG and 1.0 kg/l, are these set by SD or are they user definable?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
They are not user-definable, they are standards used throughout the industry. We use a specific gravity for avgas of around 0.72, for jet of around 0.8 and for mogas around 0.75 kg per litre.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Apparent miscalculations often have their reason in not matching units for the entries done. With density fixed, you are not completely free in choosing which to use.
Monacos_Franz
M
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/4/2019 10:34:45 AM
They are not user-definable, they are standards used throughout the industry. We use a specific gravity for avgas of around 0.72, for jet of around 0.8 and for mogas around 0.75 kg per litre.

I have the same problem. I'm trying to use the weight and balance calculation but the program is calculating 87 US gallons into 330kg. When it really should be 237kg. Is there any way to fix this? This way the app is not really useable for weight and balance which I think is very bad.

Thanks

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Monacos_Franz - 4/19/2019 7:46:06 PM

I have the same problem. I'm trying to use the weight and balance calculation but the program is calculating 87 US gallons into 330kg. When it really should be 237kg. Is there any way to fix this? This way the app is not really useable for weight and balance which I think is very bad.

Thanks

You could attach your .aircraft file to the post and somebody have a look at what is wrong?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Monacos_Franz, give SkyDemon support a call if you're having problems. I can assure you that after many years leading the European market in software of its kind, SkyDemon is not making basic weight and balance calculation errors.
GTSAS
GTSAS
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Tracked down the issue, it was as you can guess with SD's excellent piece of programming my fault.  SD not only calculates the take off, cruise and landing fuel but also includes a reserve and contingency.  Once these are taken into account the numbers produced by SD are correct.
Stefan Graf
S
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Hi Tim, I am a new SD user, and I have the same problem, plus another one, concerning weight and balance. My SD software equals 1 l of AVGAS to 1 kg (when it should be approx 0.72). Also, my program adds 134 kg to every weight and balance calculation, and I cannot find the reason why. I'm grateful for every hint how to solve these issues.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It'll be a misconfiguration of the weight and balance, possibly a duplicate of a fuel tank or a miscategorisation of a fuel tank as a general loading point. Could you give us a quick call? We'll be able to help much easier on the phone.
Stefan Graf
S
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 1/27/2020 11:51:29 AM
It'll be a misconfiguration of the weight and balance, possibly a duplicate of a fuel tank or a miscategorisation of a fuel tank as a general loading point. Could you give us a quick call? We'll be able to help much easier on the phone.

I'll try to call tomorrow or Wednesday from work.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search