Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Missing Airspace on mobile devices

Author
D
Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello to all,

on Sunday I made a flight from EDSO to EDRW. I planned the flight with SkyDemon on a "real" computer (Microsoft Windows 10 as OS). I noticed, that I had to make my way around the Frankfurt CTR along Mainz. North of it, I became aware, that there is an airspace C beginning at FL 65 - as you can see in the picture below:

As I was flying and passing by the Frankfurt airspace, I looked at the SkyDemon on my Android tab. It was very confusing, since there was nothing to be seen about this airspace.

The only airspace there was the Class E, as you can see, and even up to FL100. The maps and the app were completely updated, so there should have been no difference compared to the ones on my PC. Just imagine what could have happend if I climbed higher than FL 65...

Since I am a new user to SkyDemon, it may be sure possible that I forgot to make some special preferences in the app settings. But nevertheless, this was a dangerous moment for me and I wouldn't have expected something like this.

Can you tell me either what I have done wrong or what else the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Tobias

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
DocMarten - 2/26/2019 2:22:57 PM
Hello to all,

on Sunday I made a flight from EDSO to EDRW. I planned the flight with SkyDemon on a "real" computer (Microsoft Windows 10 as OS). I noticed, that I had to make my way around the Frankfurt CTR along Mainz. North of it, I became aware, that there is an airspace C beginning at FL 65 - as you can see in the picture below:

As I was flying and passing by the Frankfurt airspace, I looked at the SkyDemon on my Android tab. It was very confusing, since there was nothing to be seen about this airspace.

The only airspace there was the Class E, as you can see, and even up to FL100. The maps and the app were completely updated, so there should have been no difference compared to the ones on my PC. Just imagine what could have happend if I climbed higher than FL 65...

Since I am a new user to SkyDemon, it may be sure possible that I forgot to make some special preferences in the app settings. But nevertheless, this was a dangerous moment for me and I wouldn't have expected something like this.

Can you tell me either what I have done wrong or what else the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Tobias

Hi Tobias
Check – Settings (Cog wheel icon) > Navigation Options > Vertical Filter. For illustrative purposes, let's assume that you have this value set to 4000ft. What this means is that warnings for airspace more than 4000ft above your current height will be suppressed. If you then commence a climb which brings airspace above you to within 4000ft above your current height, warnings will no longer be suppressed and will appear as usual. You can, of course, set this value to any height of your choosing.

Hope this helps.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

DocMarten
D
Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)Too Much Forum (263 reputation)
Hi Mike,

thanks for your quick answer. I already played with that value, because I assumed that it may have something to do with it... but I misunderstood the setting, I thought that it affects the altitude in total above MSL.

But still there is something strange: It not only happens in navigation mode, but also in planning mode - does it rely to my planned altitude then?

Thanks again!

Tobias

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
As a general comment, once you have a ‘set of settings’ that match your requirements on one device, don’t overlook that you can save them to the cloud and load them to your other device(s).
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Sky Painter - 2/26/2019 4:37:31 PM
DocMarten - 2/26/2019 2:22:57 PM
Hello to all,

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Tobias

Hi Tobias
Check – Settings (Cog wheel icon) > Navigation Options > Vertical Filter. For illustrative purposes, let's assume that you have this value set to 4000ft. What this means is that warnings for airspace more than 4000ft above your current height will be suppressed. If you then commence a climb which brings airspace above you to within 4000ft above your current height, warnings will no longer be suppressed and will appear as usual. You can, of course, set this value to any height of your choosing.

Hope this helps.

I suspect the 'stacked maps' symbol right hand below - Automatic Decluttering - was set to Hide Features.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
SkyDemon doesn't show you airspace above where you're planning to fly, or are flying, unless you turn it on.

This was never actually an unsafe situation. If you plan a flight at FL60, then all airspace at that level (and a margin above) will be visible. Also, if you go flying, and you fly higher than planned, airspace at the level you're flying (and a margin above) will be visible.

You can change the level at which SkyDemon hides airspace from the mapping options, where you turn all map feature on and off. I think it's called Automatic Decluttering. Do consider leaving the level set fairly low, however, because it improves map legibility a great deal and the airspace will always appear if you plan or fly that high anyway.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
DocMarten - 2/26/2019 4:55:12 PM
Hi Mike,

thanks for your quick answer. I already played with that value, because I assumed that it may have something to do with it... but I misunderstood the setting, I thought that it affects the altitude in total above MSL.

But still there is something strange: It not only happens in navigation mode, but also in planning mode - does it rely to my planned altitude then?

Thanks again!

Tobias

- does it rely to my planned altitude then?

Yes!

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search