Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Italian GAFOR?

Author
Massimo Belloni
Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

The GAFOR data of  Italian Air Force is publicly available at the page

For raw data they can be contaced at aerosquadra.sm.met@am.difesa.it (see also http://www.meteoam.it/page/come-contattarci, in Italian, of course)

What about integrating Italian GAFOR in SD?

Regards,

Massimo Belloni

Edited 2/5/2019 6:45:40 AM by Massimo Belloni
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I believe we have reached out to Italian authorities previously, on this topic, without success. But I have just written another email to the address you provided and we'll see what happens. We are certainly willing.
Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/5/2019 11:27:30 AM
I believe we have reached out to Italian authorities previously, on this topic, without success. But I have just written another email to the address you provided and we'll see what happens. We are certainly willing.

Hi Tim, has there been any news on this topic?
I found the following website that gives the GAFOR in a textual (and rather complicated) way. It's from the Italian Air Force.
Then I found this that tries to bring order in the mess of the textual GAFOR:
I really hope that SD could implement it as it would make understanding it way easier than having to go through the manual decoding procedure.
Thanks!

--
LSZA based
DA40 / SR20 / S22T / PIVI / TWEN

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Hi, there hasn't been any news, but that is an interesting link, thanks. I've spent some time looking at it because the way the Italians publish GAFOR appears to be more complex than other countries. The examples they give make sense, and we could decode them, but just look at the current bulletin below.

FBIY61 LIIB 270500
GAFOR LIIB 270612
BBBB 1/7, 8N/13 O
BBBB 8S D3 TSRA=

This looks to me (unless I am misunderstanding) like they've divided zone 8 into N and S parts, which does not fit the GAFOR format at all. I'll keep an eye on the forecasts to see how they look for a couple of days.

Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/27/2023 11:01:49 AM
Hi, there hasn't been any news, but that is an interesting link, thanks. I've spent some time looking at it because the way the Italians publish GAFOR appears to be more complex than other countries. The examples they give make sense, and we could decode them, but just look at the current bulletin below.

FBIY61 LIIB 270500
GAFOR LIIB 270612
BBBB 1/7, 8N/13 O
BBBB 8S D3 TSRA=

This looks to me (unless I am misunderstanding) like they've divided zone 8 into N and S parts, which does not fit the GAFOR format at all. I'll keep an eye on the forecasts to see how they look for a couple of days.

It appears that this is the case indeed. Unfortunately, I have no further information about that, but still hope that the GAFOR will make it into SkyDemon eventually -thanks a lot for all you do!

--
LSZA based

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It so happens that I am seeing the Italian military next week, so I will try to raise the issue and get some answers.
Fabrizio Albonico
F
Tim Dawson - 9/29/2023 9:11:16 AM
It so happens that I am seeing the Italian military next week, so I will try to raise the issue and get some answers.

Hi Tim, any update on your meeting with the military? Thanks a lot!

--
LSZA based

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
A friend in the Italian military managed to get the contact details of the correct person in the military to discuss this with. I emailed them, I think the week before last, so I'm awaiting a response at the moment. From studying the data available at the URL linked above, I do not think the format is necessarily strict enough, and there appears to not always be any data published at all, but time will tell.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search