Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Sky Demon Compatible Tablet Recommendations

Author
DirDej
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I replaced my trusty old Nexus7 with Huawei Mediapad  M4 8"; It is absolutely gorgeous with a magnificent screen, very good endurance on the battery. I use the GNS2000 external bluetooth GPS receiver with it and it is rock steady. The built-in GPS also works fine in most conditions. I can link it to my Huawei P9 Lite phone and don't use the optional internal SIM card.
The 8" Huawei has replaced my other 10" tablets, because of its handy size and good performance;

martinh
m
Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)
DirDej - 10/6/2018 10:21:49 AM
I replaced my trusty old Nexus7 with Huawei Mediapad  M4 8"; It is absolutely gorgeous with a magnificent screen, very good endurance on the battery. I use the GNS2000 external bluetooth GPS receiver with it and it is rock steady. The built-in GPS also works fine in most conditions. I can link it to my Huawei P9 Lite phone and don't use the optional internal SIM card.
The 8" Huawei has replaced my other 10" tablets, because of its handy size and good performance;

Can I clarify something, am I correct in assuming that unless I get a "cellular tablet" with a sim card I would need to connect whatever tablet I get to an external GPS source as the GPS function only works if connected to an internet connection. Question 1. How do I do this. 2. Or would it work, for example, if I paired the tablet to my phone via bluetooth. Sorry if this all sounds a bit clueless but shall we say I am a little technically challenged when it comes to this sort of thing.
Thanks in advance

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
MartinH,

If your chosen device says it has an internal GPS it will (or should) work without any internet connection.
SD doesn't need a working internet connection while you are flying.
I think you may be confused regarding some Apple devices as, I believe, some only come with an internal GPS if they are the cellular equipped model.
Tony

martinh
m
Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)Forum Member (35 reputation)
tnowak - 10/17/2018 7:58:29 AM
MartinH,

If your chosen device says it has an internal GPS it will (or should) work without any internet connection.
SD doesn't need a working internet connection while you are flying.
I think you may be confused regarding some Apple devices as, I believe, some only come with an internal GPS if they are the cellular equipped model.
Tony

Thanks Tony, I've managed to clarify this now and you are quite right, I had been misled by a moron in PC world. I have ordered a Huawei Mediapad T3 7inch. I spoke to Huawei and they assured me it had an internal GPS chip so would work with SD ok.

JoanneWillian
J
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
I still remember SkyDemon claiming that the iPad is the best device to run it, so you better choose the iPad if you have enough budget. For the iPad models, SkyDemon works very well on the old iPad Mini and the latest expensive models are not necessary. Besides, you should choose the diagonal screen measuring at least 6.5 inches. If you want it to work well, you may find the information on the screen a bit confusing.

martinh
m
JoanneWillian - 1/10/2019 7:52:49 AM
I still remember SkyDemon claiming that the iPad is the best device to run it, so you better choose the iPad if you have enough budget. For the iPad models, SkyDemon works very well on the old iPad Mini and the latest expensive models are not necessary. Besides, you should choose the diagonal screen measuring at least 6.5 inches. If you want it to work well, you may find the information on the screen a bit confusing.

Thanks Joanne, I'm afraid I'm a diehard applephobe, in any event I got a Huawei 7 inch tablet that works really well. Thanks for the reply anyway. I did wonder if SkyDemon were actually sponsored by Apple the way they bang on about iPads. I had an iphone and ipda for work that I never used because I find the way they work completely illogical compared with Samsung!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Given that we are not sponsored by Apple, what do you think might be another reason we would recommend iPads over Android tablets?
martinh
m
Tim Dawson - 1/10/2019 1:00:17 PM
Given that we are not sponsored by Apple, what do you think might be another reason we would recommend iPads over Android tablets?

I've no idea Tim, it was an off the cuff tongue in cheek remark. Not intended to suggest anything as perhaps you may feel. I'm happy with the way it works on my Android tablet.

Cloud9
C
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
martinh - 1/10/2019 1:46:02 PM
Tim Dawson - 1/10/2019 1:00:17 PM

I've no idea Tim, it was an off the cuff tongue in cheek remark. Not intended to suggest anything as perhaps you may feel. I'm happy with the way it works on my Android tablet.

I, too, decided to replace my current tablet recently. For me, the choice was either an iPad mini 4 or an Huawei Mediapad M5 - due to the size of the tablet.

I opted for the Huawei. Why? I already have an iPad which regularly overheats when running SD. The current iPad mini 4 was launched on the market over 3 years ago and there seems to be no definite prospect of an iPad mini 5 in the pipeline. As for the Huawei - half the cost of an iPad mini 4. Launched in 2018. At that price I can afford to replace as and when I need.

MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Hi,

I also went for the Huawei M5 8.4, and this is a brilliant companion to SD Smile

M

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search