SkyDemon Forums

Sky Demon Compatible Tablet Recommendations

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic26700.aspx

By DirDej - 8/20/2018 12:22:39 PM

I am very happy with my Huawei M3 Mediapad in 8" format. It replaced my trusty Nexus 7. The image quality is outstanding. I have used two Nexus 7, three Lenovo Yoga Tab, one Nvidia Shield K1, but the Huawei beats them all, I use it now as my daily tablet, replacing 10" tablets. it is the perfect size for the cockpit.
By neubamat - 9/3/2018 5:58:28 PM

I'm using it on a Fire HD 8... no built in GPS, but connected to Stratux or FLARM/AirConnect devices.
By rhorne - 8/16/2018 10:45:55 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a suitable, good quality tablet with built-in GPS to run Sky Demon and looking for recommendations.

I've tried a Dragon Touch V10 but ended up having to send 3 of them back as they packed in within a week or were DOA.

I've previously used a Google Nexus 7 but it's showing its age now and the software is too sluggish.

Amazon list some Samsung Galaxy Tabs which have the letters GPS in their titles but don't list GPS as a feature so I'm not convinced they actually have it and firm details are thin on the ground.

Looking to spend a maximum of £250.

Thanks

By tnowak - 10/17/2018 7:58:29 AM

MartinH,

If your chosen device says it has an internal GPS it will (or should) work without any internet connection.
SD doesn't need a working internet connection while you are flying.
I think you may be confused regarding some Apple devices as, I believe, some only come with an internal GPS if they are the cellular equipped model.
Tony
By martinh - 10/17/2018 3:28:11 PM

tnowak - 10/17/2018 7:58:29 AM
MartinH,

If your chosen device says it has an internal GPS it will (or should) work without any internet connection.
SD doesn't need a working internet connection while you are flying.
I think you may be confused regarding some Apple devices as, I believe, some only come with an internal GPS if they are the cellular equipped model.
Tony

Thanks Tony, I've managed to clarify this now and you are quite right, I had been misled by a moron in PC world. I have ordered a Huawei Mediapad T3 7inch. I spoke to Huawei and they assured me it had an internal GPS chip so would work with SD ok.
By JoanneWillian - 1/10/2019 7:52:49 AM

I still remember SkyDemon claiming that the iPad is the best device to run it, so you better choose the iPad if you have enough budget. For the iPad models, SkyDemon works very well on the old iPad Mini and the latest expensive models are not necessary. Besides, you should choose the diagonal screen measuring at least 6.5 inches. If you want it to work well, you may find the information on the screen a bit confusing.

By martinh - 1/10/2019 9:42:19 AM

JoanneWillian - 1/10/2019 7:52:49 AM
I still remember SkyDemon claiming that the iPad is the best device to run it, so you better choose the iPad if you have enough budget. For the iPad models, SkyDemon works very well on the old iPad Mini and the latest expensive models are not necessary. Besides, you should choose the diagonal screen measuring at least 6.5 inches. If you want it to work well, you may find the information on the screen a bit confusing.

Thanks Joanne, I'm afraid I'm a diehard applephobe, in any event I got a Huawei 7 inch tablet that works really well. Thanks for the reply anyway. I did wonder if SkyDemon were actually sponsored by Apple the way they bang on about iPads. I had an iphone and ipda for work that I never used because I find the way they work completely illogical compared with Samsung!

By Tim Dawson - 1/10/2019 1:00:17 PM

Given that we are not sponsored by Apple, what do you think might be another reason we would recommend iPads over Android tablets?
By martinh - 1/10/2019 1:46:02 PM

Tim Dawson - 1/10/2019 1:00:17 PM
Given that we are not sponsored by Apple, what do you think might be another reason we would recommend iPads over Android tablets?

I've no idea Tim, it was an off the cuff tongue in cheek remark. Not intended to suggest anything as perhaps you may feel. I'm happy with the way it works on my Android tablet.
By Cloud9 - 1/16/2019 2:48:03 PM

martinh - 1/10/2019 1:46:02 PM
Tim Dawson - 1/10/2019 1:00:17 PM

I've no idea Tim, it was an off the cuff tongue in cheek remark. Not intended to suggest anything as perhaps you may feel. I'm happy with the way it works on my Android tablet.

I, too, decided to replace my current tablet recently. For me, the choice was either an iPad mini 4 or an Huawei Mediapad M5 - due to the size of the tablet.

I opted for the Huawei. Why? I already have an iPad which regularly overheats when running SD. The current iPad mini 4 was launched on the market over 3 years ago and there seems to be no definite prospect of an iPad mini 5 in the pipeline. As for the Huawei - half the cost of an iPad mini 4. Launched in 2018. At that price I can afford to replace as and when I need.

By MikeTwoOne - 1/18/2019 3:12:03 PM

Hi,

I also went for the Huawei M5 8.4, and this is a brilliant companion to SD Smile

M
By Rob Swain - 3/21/2019 3:56:58 PM

Tim Dawson - 8/21/2018 8:59:25 AM
iPad, iPad, iPad.

You could get an Android device for half the price but you'll have to replace it at least twice as often.

iPad.

Android Android Android

Biggest problem with apple stuff, other than the eye watering price, is that the user interface is as user friendly as a cornered rat.
There is a good reason that when Google were ripping off iOS they opted for 3 buttons rather than one!

There are other issues too - no GPS on an even nearly sensibly priced one, no SD card slot, they send ALL your data to apple who then have rights to do whatever they want with it, and when apple think they need more money, sorry, deem it too old they just cease support for it. Also, have you tried to use an apple product on a slow network? Effectively nothing works as it is constantly waiting for a reply from apple mission control. OK support can be patchy for Android tablets but who cares when you can buy a new one for a little over a hundred quid that will be very nearly as fast as a brand new iPad that costs 3x the price! Having said that that I still use my Mk1 Nexus 7 as a backup in the plane. Works very well for navigation even with traffic display on; it's just a bit clunky when planning.

Android
By Tim Dawson - 8/21/2018 8:59:25 AM

iPad, iPad, iPad.

You could get an Android device for half the price but you'll have to replace it at least twice as often.

iPad.
By Europa XS - 8/21/2018 11:01:09 AM

I am using an HUAWEI MediaPad M3 since 2 years. Great hardware, built in GPS, good battery capacity, price lower than € 300.- and most important, no heating problems!!
By rhorne - 8/21/2018 2:28:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

iPads require an additional GPS adaptor and are a lot more money than I want to spend.

I've just ordered a HUAWEI MediaPad M5 10" which looks just the trick. Smile
By martinh - 10/4/2018 11:47:34 AM

I'm also in the market for an Android Tablet to run SD on, would prefer a 7 inch to keep things from getting too cluttered, was looking at a Samsung device https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Spreadtrum-Android-Version/dp/B01C3FHO3K/ref=pd_sbs_147_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01C3FHO3K&pd_rd_r=7eecc12d-c7c5-11e8-a31f-795951fa6819&pd_rd_w=edo2W&pd_rd_wg=EHJoo&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=85d62760-2a0e-407d-aa36-f3c03afc01c3&pf_rd_r=6JYDKJ289BKBDEW8WNF1&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6JYDKJ289BKBDEW8WNF1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div  however one of the reviews is from a SD user (admittedly from an apple disciple) and is less than flattering. Just wondered whether any of you guys had any bright ideas. The device will only be used for SD.
Thanks in advance.
By DirDej - 10/6/2018 10:21:49 AM

I replaced my trusty old Nexus7 with Huawei Mediapad  M4 8"; It is absolutely gorgeous with a magnificent screen, very good endurance on the battery. I use the GNS2000 external bluetooth GPS receiver with it and it is rock steady. The built-in GPS also works fine in most conditions. I can link it to my Huawei P9 Lite phone and don't use the optional internal SIM card.
The 8" Huawei has replaced my other 10" tablets, because of its handy size and good performance;
By martinh - 10/15/2018 2:30:31 PM

DirDej - 10/6/2018 10:21:49 AM
I replaced my trusty old Nexus7 with Huawei Mediapad  M4 8"; It is absolutely gorgeous with a magnificent screen, very good endurance on the battery. I use the GNS2000 external bluetooth GPS receiver with it and it is rock steady. The built-in GPS also works fine in most conditions. I can link it to my Huawei P9 Lite phone and don't use the optional internal SIM card.
The 8" Huawei has replaced my other 10" tablets, because of its handy size and good performance;

Can I clarify something, am I correct in assuming that unless I get a "cellular tablet" with a sim card I would need to connect whatever tablet I get to an external GPS source as the GPS function only works if connected to an internet connection. Question 1. How do I do this. 2. Or would it work, for example, if I paired the tablet to my phone via bluetooth. Sorry if this all sounds a bit clueless but shall we say I am a little technically challenged when it comes to this sort of thing.
Thanks in advance
By Tim Dawson - 3/22/2019 12:08:34 PM

Our recommendation (iPad, iPad, iPad) is based on many years of having tens of thousands of customers split fairly evenly over both platforms. It gives us a great perspective as to which camp has the most problems overall.