Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Density altitude

Author
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

Easy-VFR calculate the density altitude for every airfield. Could you implement this very useful feature in Skydemon too?
Thank you.

Chris
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We would only implement this if many customers wanted it, so we look forward to seeing how this thread progresses. You may also wish to expand on exactly why the feature is "very useful".
EU001939
E
Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)
In our flightclub we still use a paper based weight & balance, based on an excel sheet, as the standard (not everyone has skydemon...yet)

One of the reasons is that the sheet also calculates required runway length for take-off and landing. The calculation of density altitude is part of the requirement

Especially with the hot weather of the past months, this has proven very helpfull.

So I could see a use, but mainly by enhancing the weight&balance functionality to include Performance calculation for take-off and landing. You would then have to add a tab to the Aircraft properties that holds the performance data for take-off and landing in ISA conditions as per the POH.

Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/22/2018 11:25:12 AM
We would only implement this if many customers wanted it, so we look forward to seeing how this thread progresses. You may also wish to expand on exactly why the feature is "very useful".

Well, here in Switzerland during the last weeks often I has "hot&high" conditions. For example at Samedan LSZS. To calculate the DA is 100% needed and for sure, it will be "very useful", if SD can support the pilots with this.

Chris

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Chris, you forgot to say exactly why it would be useful. What exactly do you use the DA number for, once you have it?
Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Tim Dawson - 8/22/2018 4:20:17 PM
Chris, you forgot to say exactly why it would be useful. What exactly do you use the DA number for, once you have it?

The DA is a very important value to calculate the takeoff distance...

Chris

Daniel Sinn
Daniel Sinn
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
+1

the DA is a must have value for the takeoff-distance. without that you can't fly save on hot days and high/short runways.

Ralf Rösch
R
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Initially I thought as well that it is a good idea to have the DA in in SD in order to calculate the TO-Distances. But practically, when looking at the diagramms in the flight-handbooks of the planes I know (Diamond DA40, Piper PA28's, Aquila A210), I did not find a way to calculate (or derive) the TO-Distance with DA as input. So the benefit of having DA in SD appears very limited to me.
But maybe I missed something and have now the opportunity to learn.

BR
Ralf

PS: There is a great app (IOS, Android I do not know) called "AutoDens" which is very handy for that
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
If you can calculate TOD in different temp and at different altitudes - so can a computer program!!

It is just a matter of giving the program neccesary information to do that. I know there are a person on this forum who do not want more help from SD, but want you to do things manually.......old stuff.

Other systems calculate TOD, so can SD. I would like to have that giving a simple possibility to make the calc before every flight.
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
According to most POH, the first step in calculating the takeoff/landing distance is to factor pressure altitude and temperature togheer, effectively "calculating" the density altitude. However, no two POHs then use this in the same way. Since SD (rightly or wrongly) doesn't do the performance calculations for you, there is no point (IMO) in SD calculating a useless number that can't be used in the POH charts/tables for aircraft performance. What you need for them is (generally) pressure altitude, and that's trivial to obtain with no calculation whatsoever (set 1013.25 in the Kohlsmann Windows and read the altimeter).
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search