Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

ASR's

Author
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good Evening,  I was wondering if it's possible to show altimeter setting regions on the chart, I've tried clicking more or less everything, but haven't found them. Do they exist and if not can they be considered?  Thanks
pink leader
pink leader
Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)
I know what they are of course but wonder why they are needed on the chart. ATC always tells you the setting.

Personally I am nervous of anything that clutters the chart unnecessarily. SD have done a superb job in "decluttering"  .. lets keep it that way xpt for real essentials.

My thoughts anyway.

D

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We're not averse to adding them, but I think you're the first person to ask for them so far.
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
Thanks for the replies, firstly though, I agree that the SD team have not just done a good job but a brilliant job with this product and I'm glad (pink leader) that you know what ASR's are, I would be surprised if you didn't. When I fly I plan as much as possible and this planning takes into account the asr's. When flying from Hawarden to Swansea for instance, I go from Barnsley to Hollyhead to Cotswold all under London Info. I request the pressure in advance of reaching the area and don't generally receive it without prompting. I can of course manage perfectly without the areas being highlighted on SD, I can always refer to my paper chart, but if it was on SD it would make it easier. I don't agree though that it would cause more noticeable clutter as the areas even on the CAA charts are vey discreet. Keep up the good work I'll be happy with or without the asr regions, but everyone is entitled to their personal views and mine is that I would prefer them.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Can I add my voice to pink leader, please? Also can I add the phrase ¨and every thing else¨ after ¨decluttering¨ in the reply, If he permits me to do so?

On a second note can ASRś be made optional in SD for the end user to decide to declutter or not? I recognise this means more work for Tim & Co, so please Tim, do accept my apologies.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Bathman
Bathman
Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)
Can't say I would be a fan of adding ASR. In fact I wish they were scrapped. QNH and 1013 for me.
Flyngfemme
Flyngfemme
Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)
Just dredging this up from the depths......did it ever get implemented? I regularly fly across ASRs and find it easiest to request the settings from London info all at once. A line on the chart to show the boundaries would be very helpful, especially in areas like the route from Wales in Gloucester where three regions meet and you can be in and out in short order.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
In most of the rest of Europe one flies at a given QNH until given a new one. ASRs are regions internal to the aviation authorities and have to do with how they coordinate their internal workflow and competencies. I would much rather they not show up on any chart.

‌Am I correct that in the UK things are handled differently than in most other European countries (and the US, too)?

-- Chris.‌‌
‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
ASRs are a UK peculiarity and they are on their way out. We will not be putting them on SkyDemon charts.
Hamish Mead
Hamish Mead
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/11/2017 10:29:37 AM
ASRs are a UK peculiarity and they are on their way out. We will not be putting them on SkyDemon charts.

Tim,

I understand your reluctance to implement this feature if it's simply due to the added clutter it creates. In the UK however, ASRs are still with us, and they, along with listening squawk regions and Flight Information Regions sure would be nice to cross-reference in SD from time to time; ideally by the same way in which primary airspace layers are currently user-configurable: ON if you need them, OFF to declutter, when you're familiar with a route or region.

I did my first multi-FIR / ASR x-country flight using SD as my primary chart a few days ago. As an experienced bizjet pilot who's recently returned to recreational VFR flying, I must say that depiction of the mentioned regions in SD would greatly improve my confidence in knowing where along my route I ought to consider changing FIR frequencies and altimeter settings. It would also save me the time of otherwise cross-referencing my planned track on SD with two otherwise disparate pdf documents detailing ASRs/FIRs and Listening Squawks areas of coverage. Additionally, I believe having surety in that level of detail translates into pilots sounding generally more confident and competent on the radio - and that's of benefit to everyone.

Equally, I'd be interested to hear 'best practise' from other pilots using SD as to how they stay ahead of the game in planning the next Info frequency, Listening Squawk or ASR setting along a given route.

Hamish

Edited 3/29/2019 4:40:56 PM by Hamish Mead
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search