Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Gafor Colors

Author
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Support,

w‌hy are the colors different from the official Gafor Sheet to Skydemon.
I‌m confused about this, 
T‌hw official Colors are red=closed eqaul to skydemon
o‌range=maginal=eqal to skydemon
a‌nd now......
o‌fficial danagerous=yellow / in skydemon GREEN
o‌fficial open=green / in skydemon BLUE
o‌fficial clear=blue / in skydemon - not found

A‌gain - why are the colors different?

R‌egards Siggi‌‌ ‌
siggi
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
siggi - 6/23/2017 9:32:25 AM
Hello Support,

w‌hy are the colors different from the official Gafor Sheet to Skydemon.
I‌m confused about this, 
T‌hw official Colors are red=closed eqaul to skydemon
o‌range=maginal=eqal to skydemon
a‌nd now......
o‌fficial danagerous=yellow / in skydemon GREEN
o‌fficial open=green / in skydemon BLUE
o‌fficial clear=blue / in skydemon - not found

A‌gain - why are the colors different?

R‌egards Siggi‌‌ ‌

I use the last Version on PC an IPad .....

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
Is there an international valid definition of "official colors"?

I just checked the gafor colors of Germany and Austria.
Austria does not define "clear"

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
I was curious and checked Italian gafor colors:

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
There is no international definition of GAFOR colours so we had to choose and be consistent, since we display GAFOR data for many countries.

Yellow and orange are hard to distinguish in bright sunny conditions, like you'll have when flying, so we didn't want to run the risk of someone getting confused between the two. Red, orange, green and blue are much easier to distinguish so we chose them. Germany differs from other GAFOR countries in that it also defines a Clear state, but we just reuse blue for this as it's a much less important distinction. The letter C shows that it's Clear rather than Open. ‌‌
piermauro
piermauro
Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)Too Much Forum (327 reputation)
Why gafor are not displayed when flying? I love to have them available upon planning, but I also would like to have them when flying, also because they show me the path.
iPad Air user

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
So turn them on. All weather overlays are turned off by default when flying, but you can turn them back on from the Weather menu.
bkj5
b
Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)
"There is no international definition of GAFOR colours so we had to choose and be consistent, since we display GAFOR data for many countries.

Yellow and orange are hard to distinguish in bright sunny conditions, like you'll have when flying, so we didn't want to run the risk of someone getting confused between the two. Red, orange, green and blue are much easier to distinguish so we chose them."

Even if there is nothing like an international definition green is usually "go" or "everything o.k." or the like. Without checking other counties than the ones mentioned above, obviously green is "open" in all of the three. I for myself find the green colour for "difficult" missleading in a dangerous way. Misjudging yellow for orange or vice versa in flight means at least to be alerted. Difficult conditions may already be a challenge for some pilots so in my opinion green should not be used for difficult conditions.
Maybe the possibility to set the colours as an option by your own might be a solution?

Gerhard66
G
bkj5 - 9/14/2018 8:01:41 AM
"There is no international definition of GAFOR colours so we had to choose and be consistent, since we display GAFOR data for many countries.

Yellow and orange are hard to distinguish in bright sunny conditions, like you'll have when flying, so we didn't want to run the risk of someone getting confused between the two. Red, orange, green and blue are much easier to distinguish so we chose them."

Even if there is nothing like an international definition green is usually "go" or "everything o.k." or the like. Without checking other counties than the ones mentioned above, obviously green is "open" in all of the three. I for myself find the green colour for "difficult" missleading in a dangerous way. Misjudging yellow for orange or vice versa in flight means at least to be alerted. Difficult conditions may already be a challenge for some pilots so in my opinion green should not be used for difficult conditions.
Maybe the possibility to set the colours as an option by your own might be a solution?

I fully agree, SDs arbitrary color definition is MISLEADING in a DANGEROUS way.

I checked some countries:
Croatia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, France, ...  they all have in common, that RED means <1.5km <500ft and GREEN means >8km >2000ft.

Only SD seems to live on a different planet ... respectively lives on a different island ;-))

Edited 9/14/2018 9:41:25 AM by Gerhard66
bkj5
b
Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)
I just noticed by chance that the GAFOR-colours were changed and difficult is now yellow! Obviously I missed that change until now.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR THAT!!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search