Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Transfer a route from SD Android to a Garmin 296

Author
Taigajoe
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

May be this is interesting for someone:

The autopilot in my plane is connected to a Garmin 296. Since the SD Android does not support the route export to a Garmin (SD for PC is able to do that) I faced the problem how to get the route (with SD planned route) to my Garmin to control the AP?

There is a little nice app called “Garmin Exchanger” on the market. With SD Android you plan your route and save it as a GPX file. Then you connect the Garmin via USB to the tablet and send the route.gpx with Garmin Exchanger to the Garmin GPS. That is all.

It is important that you have an android device with USB host mode (like NEXUS 7 2013).

I think this app will also work with the other aeronautical Garmins (like 396, 496, …).

There are two little things you have to consider:

1. If you set a waypoint with SD on a position with no geographical location than the gpx file contains no name for that point and during the export the app will cancel the transfer at that point. So you have to give these unnamed points a name before export. You can do that with “edit” in that app.

2. The difference between the SD PC route export and this Garmin Exchanger export is: All exported waypoints in the Garmin get the geographical names instead of the ICAO designators (if the waypoint is set on an aeronautical position like airfield, rep point etc.).

Good luck! Smile

Edited 12/15/2013 2:27:00 PM by Taigajoe
Paramed
Paramed
Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)
Just came across this and thought it's exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem - I'm using android SD on a Galaxy S2 phone and although I have a save function, there is no where/how to save the route as a gpx file. Anyone any ideas?

InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Paramed (9/2/2015)
Just came across this and thought it's exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem - I'm using android SD on a Galaxy S2 phone and although I have a save function, there is no where/how to save the route as a gpx file. Anyone any ideas?

Route button, Send by Email.

I've just tried it, and it sent the route info as a .flightplan file, a gpx, an fpl, 4 html files containing briefings (e.g. met, notams) and the log as a csv.  Or you can save to Dropbox, Drive or a local folder.

Paramed
Paramed
Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)Too Much Forum (923 reputation)
Eventually got the .gpx file into my phone and it is recognised by Garmin Exchange so I can see the route and waypoints, display it on a map within exchange etc. Only now I am unable to export it to the Garmin 296. It appears the phone is unable to see the 296.

I have the phone set to usb mass storage but when i plug in my usb cable (into phone) the garmin is not recognised, therefore it does not go into usb storage mode

Taigajoe - what settings have you set in the Garmin? In particular my Garmin has in its settings two COM ports listed in the setup menu. COM1 is the Serial Data Transfer and its set to "Garmin Data Transfer" and the Transfer Mode set to "Host. COM 2 Serial Data Transfer is set to "None" and therefore there is no option to set the  Transfer Mode. Is this the same as you have set?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
The Garmin 296 is not a mass storage device. It probably predates any modern definition of what a mass storage device even is. You need custom software implementing the proprietary (and legacy) Garmin 296 communication protocol to send routes to such a device.
Paramed
Paramed
Thanks for the info Tom. I was just hoping that as PC skydemon can download to the 296 and with what Taigajoe had achieved with the Garmin Exchanger I might be able to do similar. 
Gyro79
Gyro79
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
Hello there,

This may help a few SD users owning a Garmin296.
Yes indeed, the routes can be transferred to a 296 unit !
The configuration I use is :
- SD (PC Version 3.4.4.0)
- Garmin 296 (Rev 6.10) In the Menu bar "Setup" select COM1 and set as [Serial Data Format = Garmin Data Transfer] and [Transfer Mode = Host]
Open SD, open/create the route you want to xfer to the 296.
Select the SD Menu bar "Setup" and check the setting as follows:
http://forums.skydemon.aero/uploads/images/86d4307e-5cb2-41ca-baf0-7cc4.png

Then, click on SD Menu bar "Go Flying" and click on "Send Route to Connected Device"
You should get a Dialog box somehow similar to this :
http://forums.skydemon.aero/uploads/images/ab4e2a59-35f8-4852-95b7-75c0.png

Finally, click on "Export" and you're done.
Last but not least, should your route be divided into several legs, keep in mind that the only one which is highlighted will actually be transferred.
In other words, you will need to xfer one file per leg.

I hope this helps/clarifies.
José

fieldbicylce
fieldbicylce
Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)Too Much Forum (225 reputation)
Hello,

New here on this forum, found you googling for an answer on my problem with my Garmin Dakota: same question: how transfer to tranfer .gpx to this GPS? May be anyone here can help me with this?
It is obviously clear that there is no setting for a serial ...connection, only in default setting = mass storage (SD)

Waiting for an answer out of the Sky..

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search