Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Clarification

Author
Hypoxic
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am presently in the market for an iPad mini to use with SkyDemon and an external GPS. Should I purchase the wifi only model or wifi + cellular model? I've read elsewhere that the wifi only model has a harder time interpreting the incoming data from external GPS devices and is prone to problems vs. the cellular model, is this true?

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Hypoxic (12/29/2014)
...I've read elsewhere that the wifi only model has a harder time interpreting the incoming data from external GPS devices and is prone to problems vs. the cellular model, is this true?

I can't comment on the above, but I can tell you that the cellular model has an internal GPS, obviating the need for an external GPS, but is more expensive than the WiFi model, which does not have an internal GPS and therefore requires an external GPS unit.

A friend of mine got caught out by this. He purchased the WiFi model because it was cheaper and then discovered afterwards that he would have to shell out for an external GPS -- an additional bit of kit to lose/go wrong/keep charged etc.

If you choose to purchase the cellular model, you are not obliged to sign up to a data plan or insert a SIM card in order for the internal GPS to work. However, a data plan would give you the advantage of being able to update weather and notams etc when out of reach of a WiFi signal. Hope this helps.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Hypoxic
Hypoxic
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Hi Mike,

Yes, this was my understanding as well. Although, I read that while in flight, even the cellular model should be used with an external GPS, thus making it more reliable since the internal GPS was designed to be used on the ground. The argument was made that the internal GPS in flight is prone to dropping connection when screens are changed or if the iPad goes into sleep mode. There was further discussion (which prompted my question) about how the cellular iPad, being equipped with a GPS, interpreted incoming data from an external GPS more readily than the WiFi only model, making less prone to problems.

Enter the cost comparison. If the WiFi only model actually works very well with an external GPS, I would go with it. But if the cellular model has less issues with incoming GPS data, I would bite the bullet and shell out the extra clams even with an external GPS.

Guess I was looking for some users experience with the wifi only model, in the end it could save me about 130 euros, which would pay for the external GPS. I'm a student pilot so the whole in flight GPS with an iPad thing is new to me. I just want to get it right the first time, flight training is expensive enough as you all know.

Edit: Looking to use this with the Dual XGPS150A unit and SkyDemon.

Edited 12/29/2014 9:20:39 PM by Hypoxic
Pete
Pete
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Possibly consider the use of an android device such as nexus 7.... £50 - £150 and if you don't like it you could sell it on....has built in gps that works well!
Edited 12/29/2014 10:38:50 PM by Pete
Hypoxic
Hypoxic
Thanks, I went ahead and purchased the iPad mini 2 - wifi + cellular model and the XGPS150A external GPS.
flieger-claus
flieger-claus
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I would be glad about information about the build-in GPS of the IPad-Mini-2 or 3:
Is this good enough to fly with it?
Even in the alps?

Or is it nearly mandatory to use an external GPS?
Thank you for your experience! Claus

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
I have been using an iPad 2 and iPad 3 over the past two years. Both with internal GPS. Never had a failure, they all worked flawlessly, giving me reliable, accurate position.

It probably matters in which surroundings you use them. I fly a gyrocopter (ArrowCopter AC20) with a full carbon fiber hull and a big, glider-like canopy. The iPad is strapped to my thigh.

Greetings, -- Chris.

rg
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)

Is this good enough to fly with it?

I'd say that its only a VFR tool so you should still be looking out of the window and using your altimeter so yes it is good enough to enhance your situational awareness.  I've never experienced a GPS drop out.

flieger-claus
flieger-claus
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Hi rg!
Thank you for teaching me VFR rules!
Is your expierence with IPad Mini (my question) or with Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (your signature) ?
Best regards
Claus

rg
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
Both (well the first ipad mini till I dropped it) but I opted for an android replacement and prefer it in many ways.
A lot of people talking about "aviation grade" gps receivers.  I'm just saying its my view that given what skydeamon is then the quality of your tablets GPS is "good enough".
I'm not sure if this is true however....not tested recently. But I've heard that bluetooth on the tablet uses less power that in GPS so external GPS is preferable.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search