Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Time of civil twilight

Author
kjep
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

First of all, I love the new PLOG! Great job!!

One small suggestion: currently the time of sunset is shown for the destination airport. May I suggest that it could be presented for the departure airport also?

And perhaps more important, maybe also show the time for civil twilight? I believe that is what defines "night" according to the new SERA Rules of the Air (the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon).

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We considered adding it for departure airfield, but couldn't come up with many scenarios where it would be useful. Would you like to present some?

I'm not sure civil twilight is the same between all countries at this stage. When it is, we could do something with it then, but probably not until that time.
kjep
kjep
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
I came up with the idea as I was planning for a night flight with a student and tried to figure out when was the earliest we could be airborne so it would qualify for his night training.

Maybe the definition (or name) for civil twilight varies, but SERA defines the beginning of night as the sun being 6 degrees below the horizon. So maybe it should be called "night" or something instead of twilight?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search