Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Nexus 7 warning and question

Author
JSAG
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just updated my Nexus 7 to v5 or lolipop or whatever Google's latest iteration is called.
The problem is non of the 'keep screen' apps seem to work on it now, including the one I had on the machine.
This is serious for navigating as the most you can hold the screen for using the settings screen is 30mins.

So if you're asked to upgrade don't, unless you know more about this stuff than I do ( not difficult)

And if you do know about this stuff can you help me with something that will keep the SkyDemon screen alive for more than 30 mins.
SkyDemon 3.2
Cheers
John

Edited 11/20/2014 11:24:39 AM by JSAG
dave_kent
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Hi John,

I have a nexus 7 and have never had any problems with the screen timing out.  This may be because I have a FREDA check programmed in to remind me every 10 minutes which requires me to tap the screen to dismiss.  This tap may be resetting the screen timeout timer.

Do you leave your screen untouched for more than 30 mins?

Dave
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Hi,

I use a Nexus 7 2013 with Lollipop and I do not reproduce this issue.
Not sure what you mean by "keep screen apps". Do you mean you're using a specific app to keep screen on when running SD?

M
JSAG
JSAG
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
Thanks for the replies Dave and Mike,

I use the Nexus as navigational back up and bread crumb trail and don't necessarily touch the screen.

Mines a 2012, Mike, so that's probably the difference and yes I use a specific app to keep the screen on just when I'm using Sky Demon.

I have now found one that works on my Nexus7 2012 with lollipop (stupid name, stupid upgrade) on it. Its an app called "Wakey" and the guy who wrote the software actually replied to my queries within an hour.

By the way the lollipop upgrade seems to have slowed down most things on the Nexus. If I was cynical I'd say they wanted you to buy the new Nexus 9. Having said that I have found the Nexus 7 absolutely brilliant for Sky Demon and now they put the live ETA/ATA on the PLOG I may well be touching the screen. 
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
You don't need a separate app to keep the screen on, with Android. There's a way of an app telling the operating system that the screen should not go to sleep, for things like navigation apps. We have always used it, successfully, so that the screen does not go to sleep. If the screen is going to sleep on your Android device there might be something the matter with it.
JSAG
JSAG
Hi Tim

You're right, of course. 
But SD dropping out made me nervous and that's why I looked for and found a solution.
I realize now that when SD drops out it's not in nav mode. I haven't actually flown without the added app but I've just run tests in nav simulation without it and SD stays rock solid. How could I have ever thought you wouldn't have sorted this out.
I've wasted your time but not mine - the app is useful for other software that isn't as comprehensively written as SD. 
By the way I really like the ETA/ATA feature in the PLOG. Thanks for that as well.

Cheers
John

Edited 11/22/2014 2:32:58 PM by JSAG
Faramog
Faramog
Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)
Not sure you can say that the 'device may be faulty'... More likely the nav software is not telling the OS to keep the screen on !

Tim Dawson (11/21/2014)
You don't need a separate app to keep the screen on, with Android. There's a way of an app telling the operating system that the screen should not go to sleep, for things like navigation apps. We have always used it, successfully, so that the screen does not go to sleep. If the screen is going to sleep on your Android device there might be something the matter with it.

Faramog
Faramog
Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)Too Much Forum (352 reputation)
Hi John,

How do you programme this  pop up ... sounds a far better idea.

Thanks

dparnell (11/20/2014)
Hi John,

I have a nexus 7 and have never had any problems with the screen timing out.  This may be because I have a FREDA check programmed in to remind me every 10 minutes which requires me to tap the screen to dismiss.  This tap may be resetting the screen timeout timer.

Do you leave your screen untouched for more than 30 mins?

Dave

stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Setup > Navigation Options > Timers (whilst in 'Fly' or 'Simulate' mode)

I have one set for 15 minutes for FREDA
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Faramog, as I said, SkyDemon has always disabled the screen timeout while in navigation mode on Android.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search