Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Not working with new GNSS receiver

Author
Andyp
Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Having the same issues with my setup (iPad Mini with GNS2000 Glonass). I've returned it to AFE from which I purchased it for a firmware update. Unfortunately, its not something that can be updated via a PC download, rather, a special firmware updater is required! Hopefully this should fix the issue!
tbflyer
tbflyer
Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)
yes, that is possible; but: with this firmware update the NMEA conformity and the GLONASS functionality are being lost. As the GNS2000 is a very good GPS receiver I prefer using it in combination with other navigation software (as longs as SD and the GNS2000 do not work together)
Edited 8/12/2013 11:29:55 AM by tbflyer
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There is a standard set of GPS sentences which all such applications parse, giving very basic information such as where you are, the current date and time, your speed, heading and altitude. That protocol has been around, as mentioned, for a very long time and is not going to change any time soon. As a GPS application, SkyDemon does exactly what it should do.

Newer receivers sometimes include EXTRA GPS information which is of no practical use to SkyDemon so there is no point is us adding to our parsing code by processing that information.

We may add support for parsing GLONASS sentences in future, though, but at this stage we have no great knowledge of these or how best to integrate them with incoming parallel GPS data.
Andyp
Andyp
Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.6K reputation)
Just got my receiver back from having the firmware update and all seems to be working as it should now.
tbflyer
tbflyer
Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)Too Much Forum (769 reputation)
is the GLONASS funcionality still working?
Andyp
Andyp
How would it be possible to determine if GLONASS is functioning independent of GPS?
Glidingbum
Glidingbum
Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)Too Much Forum (121 reputation)
Hi, I too recently bought a GNS2000 receiver to run with my iPAD operating Skydemon navigation (bought mid July). Everything worked fine for the first couple of weeks but now I almost constantly get the "seeking satellites" message.

This seems to be a common problem. I'll give AFE a shout.
Andyp
Andyp
Well, I lied! Post firmware update, I was exhibiting the same faults as before. Skydemon have been extremely helpful and recommend turning Wifi OFF, shutting down iPad and Receiver, turn all back on and pair together without ever selecting Wifi ON. iPad seems to prioritise the Wifi as the best source of information over the Receiver, hence the errors. I tried this method and all works fine now!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search