Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Virtual Radar weather missing since last update

Author
O
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim Dawson - 6/13/2019 8:55:18 AM
No, sorry. The bug is very specific and you can see exactly how it "should" look if you drag your turning point slightly away from the exact position of the airfield, so you're turning just adjacent to it. Then the cloud layers will appear as they should based on the METAR.

Thanks Tim,
have you tried this and been able to get cloud layers in the virtual radar?
I have just checked - NONE of my turning points use an airfield with weather reporting capabilities - a clue?
I moved ALL turning points slightly adjacent to airfields/VORs but still no clouds visible.
METARs and TAFs are all visible in their relevant menus and up to date - their relevant icons appear on the airfields in the map view.
I can send you a screen shot if you think useful.

cheers

Lance

Ozfrog
O
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/13/2019 8:55:18 AM
No, sorry. The bug is very specific and you can see exactly how it "should" look if you drag your turning point slightly away from the exact position of the airfield, so you're turning just adjacent to it. Then the cloud layers will appear as they should based on the METAR.

Hello Tim,
thanks for the follow up. I tried this - moved ALL turning points off target slightly - still no clouds in the VR.
Point - none of the airfields I fly over ( or now adjacent to) have weather reporting facilities - a clue?
The other airports nearby that DO have facilities have their associated weather icon indicated, and the METAR and TAF readouts in the side bar are up to date.
Would a new screen shot help, and have you been able to rectify this personally?
cheers
Lance

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
As I said, it's a bug that has been fixed ready for the next version. Cloud layers are drawn from METAR, so the airfields you're passing will need to be issuing METAR to see cloud layers from that METAR.
Ozfrog
O
Tim Dawson - 6/17/2019 3:21:15 PM
As I said, it's a bug that has been fixed ready for the next version. Cloud layers are drawn from METAR, so the airfields you're passing will need to be issuing METAR to see cloud layers from that METAR.

Hello Tim,
Ah - OK - I will look at SD again once the new / next version is out.
Meantime - I'll set up another dummy flight with legs passing over reporting airfields and see if I get any joy (clouds) in VR.
While you have your coding pencil out
1.  - on the trip I sent you - on the leg LFPE to CLM - in the Log the MSA is 1900 feet, but the TMA has a 1500 foot limited ceiling. Busting the Paris TMA has dire consequences, so most pilots cruise at 1400' - the Log part of SD is naturally not happy with me entering a cruising altitude of 1400' for this sector.
2. The Virtual Radar window would be great in full screen mode during the planning stage - setting start of climb and top of climb points are  "pick & poke & pray" at the moment.
cheers

Lance

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
1. - on the trip I sent you - on the leg LFPE to CLM - in the Log the MSA is 1900 feet, but the TMA has a 1500 foot limited ceiling. Busting the Paris TMA has dire consequences, so most pilots cruise at 1400' - the Log part of SD is naturally not happy with me entering a cruising altitude of 1400' for this sector.

In the Paris aera, it's impossible to plan a flight with MSA's higher than 800ft above terrain or obstacle without getting a lot of warnings. If you don't want to get the red warnings in the Flight log you will have to decrease the vertical clearance in the Planification - MSA options.
Mine is set at 500ft or the warnings become very distracting when flying in that area.

Edited 6/18/2019 7:57:35 AM by pgroell
Ozfrog
O
pgroell - 6/18/2019 7:56:28 AM
1. - on the trip I sent you - on the leg LFPE to CLM - in the Log the MSA is 1900 feet, but the TMA has a 1500 foot limited ceiling. Busting the Paris TMA has dire consequences, so most pilots cruise at 1400' - the Log part of SD is naturally not happy with me entering a cruising altitude of 1400' for this sector.

In the Paris aera, it's impossible to plan a flight with MSA's higher than 800ft above terrain or obstacle without getting a lot of warnings. If you don't want to get the red warnings in the Flight log you will have to decrease the vertical clearance in the Planification - MSA options.
Mine is set at 500ft or the warnings become very distracting when flying in that area.

Thanks - I'll check this out.  Smile

Soarhead
S
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Been using SD for three years now and love it.  Noticed in recent flights that METARS don't update while flying long cross country flights of say 2 hour duration i.e. the original METAR data checked prior to take off remain in the weather page even though I know the METARs have been updated... Am I doing something wrong?
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Soarhead - 6/25/2019 4:56:29 PM
Been using SD for three years now and love it.  Noticed in recent flights that METARS don't update while flying long cross country flights of say 2 hour duration i.e. the original METAR data checked prior to take off remain in the weather page even though I know the METARs have been updated... Am I doing something wrong?

You may have lost your data connection during your flight. Cell phone coverage in the air isn't guaranteed and, in my set-up, I get dropouts perhaps every 20 mins or thereabouts.
Tony

Soarhead
S
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Could be..thanks Tony.
Ozfrog
O
Soarhead - 6/25/2019 4:56:29 PM

Agree with "soared" Network coverage while flying can be dodgy at best.
Metars are current observed weather and are posted hourly or on the half hour - if you get cell drop outs you can either ask ATC for the latest weather at where-ever you're headed, or the airfield may have an ATIS you can pick up.
TAFS - SHORT are valid for 9 hours, LONG for 24-30H - out of MY bladder range to wait for an update.

Please don't scud run Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search