Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Map orientation changes when displaying georeferenced approach plates inflight

Map orientation changes when displaying georeferenced approach plates...
Author
RobinHood
Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I just bought the VFR approach plates for Germany (DFS). This is a cool feature.
I'm always flying with map orientation Course-Up.

Now I realized, that as soon as I tab the yellow airplane in Plates-Menu to display the approach chart, the approach chart is shown, but north up, centered and at a different scale.
Most of that is OK for me, but I would have expected two things:
1) that the screen orientation is keept
2) that the map is centered to my current flying position (at least centered back after some seconds)

For Point 2) the following happens:
If I go to SD -> Setup -> Orientation, nothing is selected any more. If I tab on course up, my plane is again, centered and the chart course-up oriented.
For me 6 tabs (displaying approach chart and switching back to centered and in setup configured map-orientation) is too much while approaching an airfild or airport. (I for my person prefere to focus on flying / preparing the plane for the approach)

If I could express a wish, I'd appreciate to have the following behavior:
Flying with map-orientation as set in setup.
1) when tapping to display the approach chart: showing the approach chart north-up and scaled as it is.
2) after some seconds (as it is when moving the map manually) switching back to the aircraft-centered and in setup configured orientation. If the scale for the approach charts is keept, this is fine for me.

Are there any other opinions?

Best regards from the lake of constance,
Robin

Best regards,
Robin Seidelmann

secosu | Consulting & Support
Experts for ERP-Evaluation & ERP-Implementation projects in Europe

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
I would assume that the approach charts are in a raster format whereas the regular SD maps are in a vector graphics format. Raster formats don't fare well when rotated. That's probably why they are only shown in North up orientation.

As to the other points you raised, I don't know.

-- Chris.
RobinHood
RobinHood
Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)
Hi Chris,

thank you for your reply.
Well, on my iPad2 the raster chart is displayed great even rotated. I don't realize any change of quality when rotated.

Never the less, I assume this is a bug in SD.
The only change I want is the same behavior as in the rest of SD:
Centering the chart to the airplane's position with map-orientation as configured in setup (=normal SD behavior).

@Tim: Is this behavior known or wanted for any other reason?

Best regards,
Robin Seidelmann

secosu | Consulting & Support
Experts for ERP-Evaluation & ERP-Implementation projects in Europe

Edited 4/9/2013 11:03:05 AM by RobinHood
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login