Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

X-Plane 10 - virtual flight support

Author
appliko
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I like Skydemon. It is really a wonderful product !

I'm only missing a little thing: I like to simulate flights before to flight it, and I don't think it is strange.

I think that it should be very nice to implement a feature where you can get position/heading/time/speed/altitude input from X-Plane 10 via UDP instead of local sensors.

You could easily implement their protocol, or write something to be used via a plugin.

This will allows to flight virtually, using the Skydemon as in the real flight !

Thanks
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
This is already possible using a third party tool.

appliko
appliko
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Not from iPad ...

If I do not wrong, the other used is using a gps simulator connected by RS232.

Anyway, it is so easy to do it ... I hope it will be done.
appliko
appliko
Ok, I found the cable. Hope it will works.

Anyway, I hope network comm will be enabled asap.

Thanks
Beechflyer
Beechflyer
Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)Too Much Forum (267 reputation)

I am a SkyDemom customer. I use X-plane for instrument training. In real life I would switch from SkyDemon or AirNavPro to Jeppesen before the approach, but I often go a little back and forth on the iPad during an instrument approach.

So when practicing using X-plane I think it would be of great value to be able to use SkyDemon on the iPad togheter with X-plane, especially if it could be done without tweaking.

AirNavPro has done this in an excellent manner. You simply install a plug-in on X-plane. When the plug-in is activated in X-plane (on the PC) AirNavPro (on the iPad) automatically uses the signals received over the network the same way it would use signals from the unit's gps.

It is super fast and easy to set up and works great. It can't be too difficult for the SkyDemon Team to come up with something similar.

Edited 10/12/2012 2:05:07 PM by Beechflyer
appliko
appliko
UPDATE:

I received the cable to connect serial gps to the iPad. (http://gpssimcable.com/)

It works, but it is tricky on Mac, because it looks like there is no nmea serial output on XPlane 10.
(May be something about serial ports naming on Mac, but I'm investigating on it)

It needs to

- configure XPlane to send navigation data to localhost, using udp (http://www.hanisch.com/cms/index.php/home_en/nmea_en/)
- use an utility to copy udp received data to the serial interface (http://www.hanisch.com/cms/index.php/home_en/nmea_en/)
- use the gpssimcable

then, it works.

Of course, it should be so easier if/when Skydemon will support directly something received by tcp or udp

I don't like the cable, because

- I cannot charge the iPad at the same time.
- It is a stupid purchase, having wifi

Again: it is easy to implement this feature. I hope it will be done.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search