Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

INSTRUMENT APPROACHES -- NDB DME APPROACH

Author
Biggles-EGKB
Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I know that SD is not intended for IFR flying or Instrument Approaches but it does serve as an excellent backup when executing those mindboggling holds; patterns; timed turns etc all of which must have been dreamt up by someone having a really bad hairdo day in the CAA. Then when your instructor feels like it he goes and sticks blanking covers randomly over a range of instruments, smiles knowingly at you and says "..Now try the NDB/DME approach to the MDH..." I think I'd rather play the game of TWISTER with my kids given all of the contortional positions needed to be taken up!

Anyhow, to the point -- I've looked at SD and it covers so many of the "reassure me bases" which complement the standard instrumentation of an IFR equipped airplane but it would make life so much easier to do a NDB/DME approach if there were little static markers on the SD ILS instrument display at the 090, 180 and 270 degrees relative to current heading (therefore they never change and can become part of the instrument facia) You have one at the 000 degrees -- the arrow, just a few more and the instrument becomes so quick and easy to use when trying to maintain the arc on the NDB/DME approach or even some of the partial arcs in the published approach procedures.

Just another one of those thoughts I had in an idle moment when established at 4.5NM to run in wall to wall clouds @ 1200ft QFE on the NDB/DME approach to the inbound field with the instructor in the right hand seat, totally relaxed, apparently having complete faith in my abilities, eyes closed, fast asleep. At that moment, there's only one word that springs to my mind which best describes my current location -- HELP, LOST! I know, that's two words, one's for the localiser and the other for the glide slope! Which is which? Now you understand my problem!

Anyone for a game of TWISTER?

Biggles -- EGKB
Edited 8/14/2012 2:43:50 PM by Biggles-EGKB
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I totally agree Biggles-EGKB. I think this would add tremendously to safety in all weather flying. Another would be to add fly-able instrument plates, an ILS with a full glide slope ( that does not play hide and seek at 500 feet & I must say I do not recall seeing it at all lately) coupled with a GPS derived DME ...etc. Adding such options would not make flying too risky. Removing them would not enhance safety. I feel, however, all this entails a great deal of work and can add to the costs of SD subscriptions. Having said that if these were separate additional options ( like AFE plates now ) to subscribe to separately, at an extra cost, I would be among the first subscribers, noting that my SD subscription runs out in 2014! i.e. I am firm believer in SD as a robust sole navigation solution.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 8/15/2012 6:27:17 AM by Runways
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search