Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

RATE OF DESCENT INDICATOR ON VIRTUAL ILS DISPLAY

Author
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Absolutely, and Near enough, in the ideal world & thanks for the formula.
Having said that,during the landing phase while considering:

1. Where to get the GS from in a normal cockpit?
2. If flying in the good old British weather is equal to flying in the ideal world or THE Standard Atmosphere?
3. Other variables thrown in by mother nature.
4. Doing SIMPLE mental arithmetic in a single pilot operation.
5. Taking care of the rest of the landing requirements.
6. Being absolutely ready for any emergency that might arise.

I personally would no doubt arrive to the same conclusion arrived at by Biggles-EGKB @ 18.15, 3rd September yesterday, & prefer to SIMPLY have the maths readily calculated, constantly updated and clearly displayed (No hide & seek here please !). Come to think of it, wouldn't anyone?

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 9/4/2012 3:21:19 PM by Runways
Biggles-EGKB
Biggles-EGKB
Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)
Once again, nice one runways, right on the mark

In the latter parts of this thread we seem to have a number of people throw their penny-worth into the arena -- precisely what the forum is for, but I think we're losing the focus.

"...multiply by this number..........just look out the windows........use WAAS rated GPS........Say goodbye to QFE"

That's great, but I'd like to return to the reason that I started this topic which is that SD can do it all, is partly doing it all graphically and with a RoD digital readout could so easily remove the need for guesstimates allowing the pilot with a simple sweeping glance to determine that the standard cockpit instruments, as the primary means of flying, are "on the numbers" and the current flight position is endorsed by the information displayed by this outstanding piece of software SD.

I really don't want to start doing mathematical gymnastics when the workload is at it's highest, I just want confirmation that SD supports the current cockpit instrumentation readouts. If SD doesn't concur then I'll have an early heads-up that there might be an issue and it will give me more time to deal with and correct the problem.

Let's not go on about whether it's 3 degs or 2.8 degs glideslope when using the rule of thumb of "5 x the unknown ground speed" (but I'll have a guess anyhow). Just give me a RoD output calculation which is dynamically updated -- that's what computers do so well. It's then up to me what I do with the output, afterall that is what piloting a plane is all about and we're doing it all the time.

Biggles -- EGKB
Edited 9/4/2012 10:25:05 PM by Biggles-EGKB
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
My feelings Biggles-EGKB, is that change is inevitable. In this thread regard, it is likely to be for the better. If not sooner, it will be later. It would be nice if it was the former & in our life-time! Having said that with a unique package such as SD, to include all such excellent suggestions as well, we may have to worry in case the big players, eg Garmin ..Bendix King ...etc decide to buy SD & probably shut the whole thing down.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 9/6/2012 2:48:47 PM by Runways
Runways
Runways
Any chance of a further opinion from the SD Team, in this regard, that might also replace the spam in the SD home page?

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search