SkyDemon Forums

RATE OF DESCENT INDICATOR ON VIRTUAL ILS DISPLAY

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic6858.aspx

By Biggles-EGKB - 8/9/2012 6:22:20 PM

The one calculation which I constantly find myself doing during the last 6 miles when establish on the ILS is "What should my rate of descent (RoD) be?"

Now I know that the glideslope gives that to me as a visual "..too high, too low, just right...." but somehow I always like to have secondary confirmation of these things especially when all I can see is wall to wall clouds outside the cockpit and I know that the ground is coming up to meet me in the not too distant future!

To have an indication of what the necessary RoD should be in order to land on the numbers and to correlate that to the aircraft's VSI would be a very comforting addition to SD's armory.

At the moment, I'm doing it in my head on the decent at a time when the workload is at its heaviest. Some how I really think that, since SD is doing this calculation constantly in the background; advises me at the start of the virtual ILS approach of the required RoD; a simple display inside the virtual ILS instrument followed by a quick flick of the eyes to the cockpit VSI would do the job in a matter of seconds.

So what do you think for all of us (V)FR fliers?

By Runways - 9/13/2012 5:07:21 PM

Any chance of a further opinion from the SD Team, in this regard, that might also replace the spam in the SD home page?