Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad + GNS 5870 GPS

Author
2greens1red
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My iPad (non-GPS version) connects OK to the GNS 5870 GPS via Bluetooth.

When Sky Demon is in Flying Mode, how can I confirm that it's receiving a valid signal and displaying the correct map position?

It shows the a/c symbol in the correct map position whether the GPS is on or off (approx. position from WiFi?).

Thanks.
Edited 3/3/2012 3:14:30 PM by 2greens1red
Cardinal
Cardinal
Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)
I find the virtual radar disappears with no GPS fix.
2greens1red
2greens1red
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Thanks, Cardinal.

Hopefully there's something a little more definitive than that. I have to admit I don't normally look at the virtual radar, and in the South of the S. of England the lack of virtual radar panel blends into the sea....
Edited 3/3/2012 10:59:39 PM by 2greens1red
2high2fastagain
2high2fastagain
Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)
I think my little aeroplane goes red when it loses the fix from the GNS5870. That said, the GNS keeps a much better lock in my cockpit than some other GPS devices I have.
2greens1red
2greens1red
Yes, I'm getting that now - I guess that's the answer.

What about satellite position integrity checking? I've tried a few apps but none of them seem to work with the GNS5870. I've asked their tech support as well.

And if you've got any tips for switching it on and off, I'd be interested. It seems to work 1 try in 20 for me.
2high2fastagain
2high2fastagain
Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.9K reputation)
Not sure what you mean by satellite position integrity checking. I only made one attempt calibration, which was to fly directly over a VOR (confirming it of course with the mark 1 eyeball) and I was pleased to see that the GNS also thought I was directly over the beacon. I also have checked that the GNS is also giving me the same information as my (confusingly similar;y named) Garmin GNS430 in the cockpit. It's pretty good and the groundspeeds are pretty much identical pretty much all the time between the two devices.

In terms of the switch. Mine goes on first time, but it takes me five go's to get it to switch off. It seems to work better if I swipe faster.
grant@helifli.co.uk
grant@helifli.co.uk
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Planned and flew my first flight on the iPad with a GNS5870 and wow I love it!! Some comments are, I had the GNS5870 turned on first with the green light on and showing it had a valid fix, then opened SkyDemon, to find the aircraft was still red, I restarted skyDemon, but that didn't help, then had to restart the GNS which did fix the problem. So all good and off I set, not once did I lose the fix and all went well till I reached my destination, where I was on the ground for 5 hours. I turned the iPad off and left the aircraft, with the iPad and GNS still in it.

About an hour later I remembered I hadn't turned the GNS off, but then remembered that it should shut down automatically if it doesn't have a bluetooth connection. So I wasn't worried. On returning to the aircraft, I could see the blue light for blue tooth was still on (even though the iPad screen was blank and I presumed off) and the battery light was flashing advising I only had about 10 mins left (btw I had been using the GNS on the ground a bit hence it only lasting 5 hours) So lesson learnt, if you turn your iPad off, believe it or not the bluetooth stays on unless you actually go into settings and turn it off or you manually turn the GNS off. I'll be doing both to save battery on both devices.

Cheers Grant
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
You probably didn't actually turn your iPad off... I'm guessing you just put it to sleep - one press of the power button?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search