Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon 2.3 beta

Author
ACW20
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Having played with this beta for an hour or so, my first impressions are that the mapping engine is a nice improvement. I have found a couple of points for discussion.
1. Upon starting Skydemon on my PC, the map does not get drawn until it gets a callback from a move request.
2. At high levels of zoom, route waypoints have a black square around them.

However, overall I'm still very pleased with your software.

Dave
Tags
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
I've been using beta 2.3 since January and although there were a couple of peculiarities which have been resolved, I hadn't noticed yours findings. I have just gone into the beta version on my PC and my charts appear fully as soon as I click the initial 'yes' button. When I zoom in on the waypoints I just get the shape I initially used e.g. 'circle' triangle' etc

I'm using UK chart view, but have just tried High Contrast and Skydemon view in case it reproduces what you are seeing, but it doesn't.
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
A couple of quick comments after (a very short) play with today's (21/2/2012) beta release.

1) I miss the swipe up/down to change map/instrument views and swipe right for direct to functions. (or maybe I've disabled this somehow)

2) The website beta download page still says the beta release is 24th January (i.e. no indication that a new version is available) - I note that this date is often not updated when new betas are posted.

3) The circuit direction arrows on the airfield plates when in flight disappear as you zoom out. For me I would like them to stay displayed until zoomed out a little further so they are still visible when doing wider circuits, downwind joins etc. from further out.

4) The new mapping engine is a great improvement and I find it much more responsive (I especially like the instant crude zoom function whist the new screen is recalculated which gives immediate feedback). However I do find that on my small (airspace aware clone) WinCE device that the map dragging acceleration is a little too aggressive and it's too easy to drag too far i.e. it the map drag can accelerate faster than my finger moves. (too many too's in this sentence?)

Lots of other small improvements have made the software easier to use with more consistent interfaces.

Simon
Lottie
Lottie
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
In terms of the approach mode I agree with the previous comment from "srayne". A few further thoughts:

1. the non-active side of the circuit could be "greyed" out - still visible but clearly not the circuit to use.

2. the buttons on the end of the runway overlap and seem really large - maybe they could be moved to the bottom of the screen - ie left/right buttons. So you select the runway end and then select L/R. I am using Motion Computer's LS800 so I imagine the issue is more acute on smaller screens. Also some airfields operate circuits in both directions so you need to add this as an option I suspect.

3. could users add their own data to illustrate exactly where the circuit is - where the airfield has noise abatement proceedures in force? I would think the individual airfields would be happy to let you have the information given SD's popularity

4. perhaps a further button could be added that displays the overhead join, perhaps customised to reflect "custom" circuits entered under 3 above; and finally,

5. I can't seem to get the route profile up when using mobile? Is it possible to add it? It would be really useful when ATC for instance ask you to change level etc.

Great package though!
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
I hadn't realised that a new beta had been released, I'm still using the one I downloaded a few weeks ago. Please disregard my comments from my post above just in case the faults are present in this release, I'll download it now, but the date does still say 24th January
nje
nje
I've had a bit of a play with it now, My device has had a couple of crashes but not sure what I was doing at the time, but it went back to the menu, I'll try and reproduce it later.

I would also like the swipe up and down brought back.

I agree that the buttons at the end of the runways on approach are a bit too big

I used custom data and created a couple of VRPs but they will not transfer when syncing and don't appear in the custom data folder. I already had a couple of VRPs saved from the previous version and although they are in the custom data folder and show up in SD plan, they won't transfer to the device either.

I created a couple of waypoints and they transfer OK.

I won't be flying again for a week or so, but I'm driving about 75 miles later today so I will try it out a bit more in the car.

Some good improvements, just a bit more fine tuning
ACW20
ACW20
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Continuing with my play with the new beta.
My previous post about the map not drawing was my mistake, I was not patient enough to allow the first render.
I am still seeing square black backgrounds to waypoints. Tried uploading a pic but add an image is not working properly for me.

Additional note: In the print area of skydemon, when you view the enroute chart, the details of the route do not show up and neither is the route visible when the chart is printed

Dave
nje
nje
I agree, routes don't show up when in the print area
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
nje (23/02/2012)
I agree, routes don't show up when in the print area

Me too.
nje
nje
Having driven with it in the car last night for about 60 miles each direction, the screen redraw is noticeable slower than the previous release. I checked it in both directions just in case it was because that part of the chart hadn't been loaded before.

When the aircraft gets to the point where the screen redraws, it goes to a light blue screen with just the aircraft showing and then the chart appears. It doesn't take masses of time but the screen just shows the aircraft without chart for at least 5 seconds.

I have just tried two identical devices, one with the latest beta and the other with the previous release by swiping my finger accrooss the screen and the beta is definitely slower to redraw.

It's still a marvelous product though!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search