Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stopwatch

Author
t
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I see the topic of having a stopwatch in SkyDemon has been brought up a few times over the years ... to me, that seems like a really handy (if not essential) feature. I don't see a stopwatch in the current version -- are there plans to add it? If not, what might be the reasoning reasoning against it? (I don't see clutter as a problem if it is a small floating button that can be shown or hidden)

Thanks,
-- Terrence

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)
Almost all devices upon which you might be running SkyDemon have stopwatches of their own. It's never been clear to us what the benefit of adding another one to SkyDemon would be.
teba99
t
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
Hi, understood, but -- not be be argumentative -- isn't that is also true for other SkyDemon features? It's great to have aerial photography (Google Maps) and PDF reader (User Documents) integrated, but one could make the same argument as both are available as seperate apps. Not sure how a stopwatch is different? The power of SkyDemon is that multiple individual tools are integrated in a single app streamlined for pilots.

Thanks,
-- Terrence

Edited 10/17/2024 7:39:39 PM by teba99
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)SkyDemon Team (643K reputation)
I agree with you. The aerial photography inside SkyDemon has aviation features (and your route) overlaid, and user documents are often linked to airfields, hence those features have a certain "value add" to them.

May I ask what exactly you want the stopwatch for? Sometimes people ask because they want to see their flight time, etc, which we do make available already from the Live PLOG and Logging screens.

teba99
t
Hi, 

Specifically, VOR procedure turns and holding patterns (unfortunately, still needed sometimes) ... I am aware that I don't really need SkyDemon for this at all, but it would certainly be helpful to be able to stay within the app, with a big benefit being the ability to monitor your flight path and traffic while doing the procedure. 

PS: On iPad/iOS, there are no really good options for a small floating timer/stopwatch, because of iOS limitations ... you can either open a timer app and split the screen, which obscures a lot of SkyDemon, or you can use a floating timer app, but those can't be resized or moved arbitrarily. And in both cases, there are multiple steps involved fiddling with the iPad, which are quite distracting while flying the plane.

Best,
-- Terrence

Edited 10/18/2024 3:30:06 PM by teba99
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.7K reputation)
Perhaps a simple wristwatch is the simplest solution.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I could move this thread to the Suggestions forum so others could weigh in, perhaps?
teba99
t
Hi,

I know it's been discussed at various times before, not sure we need to bring it up again. I mainly wanted to understand the rationale for not adding it. Yes, there are obviously workarounds, but it seems to me all of them are more distracting or problem-prone than just having a stopwatch in the app. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me know. 

Best,
-- Terrence

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search